Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Article about: Guys, could you take a look at a helmet I've been offered today from a guy in northern Italy. I've had the helmet in my hand, and it's without doubt 100% spot on, as it the liner and chin-st

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

One thing we do on this forum is to try and discourage the " This is good and / or fake replies " followed by the but i'm no expert so ask someone else type posts which litter other forums and give no actual opinion to sustantiate the comments made , if you require posts like that them i'm sure we can supply plenty for you

That may be a reason that members haven't flocked to your thread or maybe they realised that you were only playing a little exercise and didn't want to play along with you !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please
    P
    Many

I initially DID post the picture of the LH side of the helmet.........but saw YOU were online at the time, so pulled it. You're quite modest about your ability and skills on this stuff..........but YOU I knew would be a problem.
    If you offered me a shocking pink triple-decal M-35 and told me it was Hermann Goerring's special helmet just for gay-bars..........I'll probably buy it from you - you are BLOODY GOOD at this stuff!
    I've read your contributions to other posts and spotted that a while back - not only that.......but you're very quick to share the information with other's who are trying to learn.
    OK, the decal IS as you suggested a 100% genuine one, I can hand on heart, 100% totally and without fear of contradiction state. How do I know this......because this helmet has been in my possession for over 12 years already, I know where it came from, I know the history of every single piece of this helmet.
    The helmet, is a 1999 G-Max helmet!
    ?
    A good few years ago I was given an envelope containing a lot of original unused German WWII issue decals, in there were nine of these 2nd pattern Luftadlers and other deliciously desirable relics. So if I so wished to say, replace a swastika and claw on a 2nd patern de-nazified luftadler..........I wouldn't have to use a repro decal to do it. (eBay doctored pictures can very often get mis-labeled and mis-interprtated don't you think?
    I've got an M40 on fleaBay right nowLuftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions pleaseLuftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please......................I'm sure THAT picture will turn up on a forum years from now when one of the "helmet-mafia" (again....................not my words) trying to control sales and prices.

I put the decal on the FJ helmet, and I did the camo (I did say I was 101% happy and sure about it didn't I)
    I combined the helmet and decal because although a very fast inspection of the helmet would pass it, anybody who's ever HAD an Fallschirmjager helmet in their hands would be unsure enough NOT to part with hard-earned cash for it.
    I have no real wish to sell this helmet - I use it FOR parachuting through the summer.
    The lesson about the dots on the wing - NEW one on me..............never heard that before (thanks for the info)
    Comments like "fake, fishy, good, wonderful" although helpful are not really informative to the guys new to this game.
    I hope this has been of some use to the guys who openly admit to not knowing everything about this stuff, it's important to KNOW small details like the dots, the "lines" and the details. It's important to be wary of things like "convenient" damage and scratches but not to be totally blinded by them (sometimes...they really are INCONVENIENT to have them where they are!), and it IS important to take background info like "a seller in Northern Italy" as no guarantee.....just as much as a "seller in the Czech republic" as no promise of a fake.
    This thread has been viewed a few hundred times now.........with very few actually committing to it, I guess I was right about that part.
    Ade and others have taken time to write threads and posts aimed at educating the members here so they improve, please guys...if you are going to add anything other than back-slapping.........do TRY to quantify your comments. Be steered by advice given, but not blinded by it.
    Come on people...........we're all trying to learn stuff here, if you CAN be bothered, and want to be a contributing member of this community, share the knowledge with others

?

Who exactly is this diatribe and rant aimed at ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    One thing we do on this forum is to try and discourage the " This is good and / or fake replies " followed by the but i'm no expert so ask someone else type posts which litter other forums and give no actual opinion to sustantiate the comments made , if you require posts like that them i'm sure we can supply plenty for you

That may be a reason that members haven't flocked to your thread or maybe they realised that you were only playing a little exercise and didn't want to play along with you !!
    While I can see this MIGHT be the Normal thing here now, I don't think it's really helping guys learn a lot. Also..........while I appreciate there are a lot of non-native English speakers here and kept my English simple and basic, an opening sentence like "all I need verified in the Luftadler - take a look and give me some opinions please." ..did cause an inordinate amount of confusion with the native and almost native speakers. It would be a LOT more helpful and educational if people ASK what they're after - I.E. back-slaps, compliments, "good or fake" cries, or opinions......and people respond to what has been asked.

Paul, it's not a rant.....it's a collection of thoughts and views mentioned by a few people. I'm TRYING to illustrate quite a few points here.

mike

What a strange thread. So the paint was fake and the decal was added postwar. In future I shall refrain from adding my opinion on any of your items, as you knew all the answers before you asked.

PS I still don't like the way the talons clutch the swaz.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

So I guess it was a TEST! Silly me, and I was trying so hard to be helpful too.

Quote by Bond View Post
    What a strange thread. So the paint was fake and the decal was added postwar. In future I shall refrain from adding my opinion on any of your items, as you knew all the answers before you asked.

PS I still don't like the way the talons clutch the swaz.
    Ditto on all points! Jim G.

?

Mike,
    Do you think ridiculous threads like this where the whole object is viewed as a game are really going to encourage anyone to reply to your threads or offer you an opinion?
    We are here to discuss militaria and help genuine people who are wanting to learn and in the process, learn ourselves. Why should anyone indulge in games such as this?
    The members here are all decent folk and all share a common interest. Please don't insult their intellegence.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Just out of curiosity, would you kindly post pictures of the front and back of any of the unapplied adlers that you mentioned above? I would be curious to see if the manufacturer could be identified. The bird on your recreation does not look to me to be an ET bird, and we now know why it didn't show age. Also, I would like to add that one big reason why the forum encourages posting pictures of the whole helmet when one asks for opinions is so people can evaluate the whole package. In the one picture that you posted, in addition to a questionable decal, I saw what appeared to be evidence of recent removal/tampering of the bolt, something that should be a big red flag to a prospective purchaser of a helmet offered by "a seller in Northern Italy". I also didn't like the paint, but you asked for comments on the bird, so that is what I addressed. Your failure to post the pictures probably turned off many forum members. I almost didn't contribute to the thread at all because it had a weird vibe, and almost didn't follow up with the additional posts, but I thought the piece was NOT period, and preferred to try to help prevent a forger from profiting from his misdeeds rather than withdraw, even after your initial rather condescending post directed to my contributions. The more I write here, the more I realize that the starters of threads such as these sort of get under my skin, so I will stop now before it starts to get personal. I would still like to see the unapplied decals however, and would appreciate it if you would show one or more of them to us "yes men". That would certainly be helpful to all of the members. Thanks in advance. Your obedient servant, Jim G.

I rarely post opinions on steel helmets, as I don't collect them any more and sold all those that I did own, but I noticed the thread and I still often look at helmets to keep my eye in, and also noticed the whining about the lack of responses compared to number of posts, so I offered my opinion, and it is only my opinion, and I ignored your request to just talk about the decal and mentioned that I did not like the paint.

One of the reasons I like this forum is the nearly always polite manner in which posts are made and threads of this type, in which the main aim appears to have been trying to belittle any members who posted any negative opinions on what you consider to be a 100% original decal.

To me this is not in the spirit of the forum and if it was up to me I would banish you, but again, that is just my opinion.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast