Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?

Article about: Hello guys I bought this M38 helmet cover as a genuine piece. Now I would like to know what you guys think about it?! Thanks in advance!

Default M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?

Hello guys

I bought this M38 helmet cover as a genuine piece. Now I would like to know what you guys think about it?!
    Thanks in advance!M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?
    P
    Many

I hope you did full research & received validation from a few advanced helmet collectors before you paid $8000 euro for this. I have seen a couple of originals sell for more than twice what you paid. To be asking opinions here after the fact that you bought it, that's quite a risk.
    I only know of maybe 5 collectors that could authenticate this for you & I know many advanced helmet collectors, that's how rare these are.
    There is an accepted original on "Luxmilitaria" for sale...a bit different than your example, but sure there were different makers of these which makes it even more difficult to authenticate. There is another example on "Germanwarhelmet.com" under "Featured helmets" which has been deemed original.
    Hope it's good, I wish I could help
    D.
    Last edited by real steel; 10-20-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Hi real steel!
    Thank you for your answer. I have visited both websites and I found one @ "Germanwarhelmet.com" under "Featured helmets" which looks pretty similiar to mine. Even the seam on the inside looks like mine. I have to say my feeling isn't gotten worse.
    I added a few more detailed pictures... perhaps someone is interested in taking a closer look?!
    Interesting: the rust traces of the bleed screws on both sides!
    By the way.... UV negative

M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?
    Last edited by Hanomag83; 10-20-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Hello again friends of the collective passion.
    Today I'm adding some cutouts from Wehrmacht Combat Helmets 1933–45 by Brian C Bell.
    Perhaps I'm not the only person who finds that interesting?!
    Best regards
    Thomas
    M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?M 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?

I believe this helmet cover is a post war reproduction. The major red flag for me is the use of an overlocker machine in the construction. This is clearly evident in the stitching inside the cover. I'm not aware of any authentic helmet covers sown with an overlocker. During the war they folded over and double stitched.

Hello Anderson,
    thank you for your answer. I had the same concerns but then I compared it with the second cover @ "Germanwarhelmet.com" under "Featured helmets" which looks pretty similiar to mine.
    Greetings ThomasM 38 Helmet Cover Splittertarn genuine?

As long as you are happy Thomas, but I'm not convinced the example you show from German-War Helmets is authentic WW2 production either. It's the same issue of use of an overlocker. I'll be happy to revise my view if anyone can prove overlockers were used pre 1945 on German helmet covers or other uniform parts.

SMP
    ?

Original FJ covers were only ever printed on one side, and ALWAYS in Luftwaffe splinter "B" pattern , never in Heer splinter "A" pattern. The Germanwarhelmets cover is a genuine cover. The cover in question is an obvious fake made from cut-up original zeltbahn splinter "A" material

Get a refund, or sue the dealer