Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?

Article about: I agree, as usual, with Jim's comments. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?

I agree, as usual, with Jim's comments.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?
    P
    Many

Looking at this one again, I think the liner has blood rot damage, and there is corrosion on the interior of the shell that corresponds to the missing parts of the leather. Maybe the leather goes with this shell, but the liner was taken out so that the pads, which may have been blood soaked, could be removed. Not a pleasant thought, because it seems it did not end well for the poor soldier wearing the helmet, but I think there is a good chance that with the exception of the split pins, all of the other parts of this one go together. By the way, I certainly wouldn't mind owning this one myself, I think it is a decent example of a desirable SD F/J lid. Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 04-27-2011 at 01:06 PM.

my opinion is, it is real.I do not think they reproduce ET in size 66 only 68 and 71.

Chris

This i getting interesting. Is there anything I can do to help unravel the history of this helmet? I'm considering removing the liner and photographing the back side and also the pins themselves. Hopefully the pins can survive another remove/install cycle without succumbing to metal fatigue. Does this seem like a good idea?
    Thanks for your time!

?

Quote by gibsonsg View Post
    This i getting interesting. Is there anything I can do to help unravel the history of this helmet? I'm considering removing the liner and photographing the back side and also the pins themselves. Hopefully the pins can survive another remove/install cycle without succumbing to metal fatigue. Does this seem like a good idea?
    Thanks for your time!
    hi , i would avoid taking the pins out for fear of them snapping off. bad idea i would not risk it . it may sound nuts but why not put a mirror under the liner and focus a light on it ,lifting the liner with a small prop and take a pic . i know it sounds nuts but i have tried it and it works , may take a few trys but in my opinion safer than messing with the pins......paul

?

I agree with Paul, if you dont snap them taking them out, it could happen replacing them, also you would have to note which one went where and the orientation of each pin

?

As there is no way that the split pins are original to the helmet I would replace them with original spanner bolts and nuts. Two to a bolt.
    SteveR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2