Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Help with this DAK FJ Helmet

Article about: Will do. Thanks again Jerry! Appreciate your help!

Default Re: Need Help with this DAK FJ Helmet

Will do. Thanks again Jerry! Appreciate your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help with this DAK FJ Helmet
    P
    Many

?

What i can say is that $5,500 equates to £3,423, which is by no means a paltry sum, but ive seen others in worse condition with less paint going upwards of £4,000, one such as this i would expect to see in the £5000 -7,000 range, you may have a great deal on your hands provided that the paint is original, but for some reason, and dont take my opinion as gospel, theres something bugging me about it, the helmet i would say is an original, but that paint has me worried, i would like Jim or Doug to have a look , Doug has one or two i believe, i'm not sure if Jim has one, also its not neccesarily a DAK , it has tropical paint colour but that does'nt mean it was in North Africa unless theres cast iron provenance

This helmet was sold on Ebay a couple of years back for around $1400 or thereabouts IIRC.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you very much for your reply! Here is the story from someone who knows the history on the WAF sight. They stated that the bird dig was done, then repainted over...not original to the helmet...Then the helmet was cleaned rigorously....hence the lack of patina. I will see what everyone has to say. The photos are terrible....indoors with flash, which don't do it justice..

?

I can't say i like the paint on this FJ. It's also "bugging" me. It looks very new. From the rear it even looks like some dents and scratches have been painted over. The paint just looks very "clean" from these pics. Good daylight pics would be very nice, with some good close ups too. If these pics are from the seller i would say there is too much focus on the interior compared to the pics of the dome. It could indicate that the helmet is good but the paint job is bad and he knows it. If it's a complete post war paint job, much value will be lost IMO.

Regards, Lars

?

Well having read all the details on this helmet at WAF it would appear that there was a scrubbed denazified eagle that was under the paint work, a very corrosive cleaning agent was used that has removed all brush marks, patina etc and has also "softened" the paint and spread it around the helmet, giving it that "new" look, this is what was worrying me, it was very badly "restored" and although may be original paint, it has lessened the history of the piece by having this done, its a great shame. However, if the original paint and decal had been left alone this helmet would be worth a great deal more than what is being asked, it was originally on E-Bay, as Ned said, and was sold for $1400 , a terrific cheap price at the time but times being what they are an increase is to be expected, but personally i would try to get a reduced price because of all the irrepairable damage done, and this can never be restored to its original condition and any further attempts would ruin it completely

?

It makes sense what you write Dave especially the part with the corrosive cleaning agent.

Regards, Lars

AA link on the origins of this helmet and how it used to look before it was restored.

M38 DAK/MED Camo Fallschirmjager Helmet - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help with this DAK FJ Helmet   Need Help with this DAK FJ Helmet  

Need Help with this DAK FJ Helmet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Even with this "lacquer" over it, it looks better than it does now, the original brush strokes and under texture are there with the brushed decal, its a real shame that someone who had no idea about retaining history and proper restoration did a real carve up job on it

This is very sad news! I am not sure I want to proceed with the purchase. What are your thoughts??

Thanks,

Sam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast