Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this what it has come to ?!?!

Article about: by HARRY THE MOLE Don't forget the repro (airsoft) Luger you own as well Dave. how could i forget my coke can killer rgds Dave

Default Is this what it has come to ?!?!

I was trawling through some video's on youtube this morning and I came across this one...

YouTube - The King Of all Junk Antiques Metal Mike july17 Sells german Paratrooper Helmet to pay bills

I don't know about you, but this makes me feel very unsettled. If you have a couple of minutes, give it a watch. I find it very hard to believe some of the things this guy is saying. Especially about 'repro hemets' .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this what it has come to ?!?!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this what it has come to ?!?!

Jim, believe it, I did a thread on repro helmets in the USA and a guy who paints them to order, they even come in a wooden box as if it's been sent "home" by the GI

Scarey stuff, and he has a point, because 50 years from now could you tell the difference. That's why I believe the XR cert is a good thing

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Jim, believe it, I did a thread on repro helmets in the USA and a guy who paints them to order, they even come in a wooden box as if it's been sent "home" by the GI

Scarey stuff, and he has a point, because 50 years from now could you tell the difference. That's why I believe the XR cert is a good thing
    Well, it looks like I got 'in' just in the nick of time and I fully agree with you on the XR certifcate mate. I just find it really, REALLY hard to understand why people want to collect repro helmets. I know people say they cant afford the real thing and 'well, it fills the hole in my collection' but I would rather have one fully authentic, original helmet over 1000 repro lids, however faithfully reproduced they are.The whole repro world just stinks IMO.... Hmm. If that statement doesn't light a few fires here, I don't know what will.
    I am by no means a rich man but I am willing to save, work hard, do overtime and whatever it takes to invest in the originals, why are others not? I am utterly bewildered

Hi Jim, I hate repros.

Even if I have to buy some repro for my re-enactment activities it pains me to part with the money for it...

Cheers, Ade.

It's only my opinion, but there is indeed a place in a collection for good quality reproduction items. I have an SS officer's cap which is about the closest you can get to the real thing without shelling out a couple of grand. It is not always easy to buy the genuine item you may want for your collection - due to other financial considerations. I used to collect WW1 machine-guns, but these days they are going for silly money. If I wanted one now there is no way I could afford it. I sometimes think that the high prices that military items are fetching bear no comparison to their true value. People seem to be prepared to pay any price just to own it. No wonder some resort to reproductions. The way things are going it will only be the very wealthy who will be able to afford to collect. This stuff was used in conflicts which are still in living memory, so it's hardly as though it can be classed as antique.

I accept that some items are rare - and so command a higher price, but that doesn't apply to everything. Look at the price deactivated weapons fetch, and most of the guns are only clapped-out relics fit for nothing else other than deactivation. There is nothing wrong with repro items as long as they are sold as repro items. I hear that there are collectors who collect ONLY repro items. I never like to comment on what people should or shouldn't collect. You only have to look at what has happened to other people's hobbies when they considered their hobby or sport to be more worthy than someone elses. As long as the owners of these items are happy with them, that is surely all that matters.
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 08-17-2010 at 08:02 PM.

I think there is a place for quality repro and "refurbished" items in reenacting, movies and to display to give people a good visual of what the things looked like, but I would not personally collect such items. The video is pathetic with what the seller is saying. Too much hype about how rare these items are and a sales pitch for the unwitting. I hope this helmet is not passed off as original in the future.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I accept that some items are rare - and so command a higher price, but that doesn't apply to everything. Look at the price deactivated weapons fetch, and most of the guns are only clapped-out relics fit for nothing else other than deactivation. There is nothing wrong with repro items as long as they are sold as repro items. I hear that there are collectors who collect ONLY repro items. I never like to comment on what people should or shouldn't collect. You only have to look at what has happened to other people's hobbies when they considered their hobby or sport to be more worthy than someone elses. As long as the owners of these items are happy with them, that is surely all that matters.
    I hear what you are saying mate and I do agree that the prices are a little steep in some cases. If repro is what people like then fair enough. I just don't get why someone would have a collection made up entirely of repro items.. but as you and I know getting into that arguement is a waste of time. Save your breath to cool your porridge as my dad says . Each to their own!

I really couldn't care less what anyone collects. It's their money, and it's up to them what they do with it. The only time I get seriously annoyed is when some sections of the collecting fraternity think that repro's or replica's should be banned altogether. This is a very dangerous stance to take. None of us should consider what we collect to be somehow more 'worthy' than what others choose to collect. The general public couldn't care less if the collecting of deactivated guns was banned, but the collectors of these things would be up in arms - so to speak! Yet collectors of bayonets probably wouldn't be too concerned because it wouldn't affect their hobby. And so it goes on. Imagine the outcry if a law was passed saying that ALL Nazi symbols had to be removed from ALL German memorabillia. As collectors, we form only a small section of the population who are actually interested in this junk.

?

I collect ww2 items because i like to own a real piece of an era that has interested me since i was a child, i look at repros as what they are historyless pieces of junk unless used in specific movies or series that then gives them a movie collectable status , i have a repro ss tunic and cap etc for when i get asked to fancy dress parties but thats all its for,, well sometimes i chase the girlfriend around in it but thats another story rgds Dave

Don't forget the repro (airsoft) Luger you own as well Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast