Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2nd Class Mannerheim Crosses Stolen

Article about: Sad news, Recently there were news of a 2nd Class Mannerheim Cross being stolen from the Mikkeli Infantry Museum, number 138, that was awarded to Corporal Eero Seppänen during the Continuati

Default 2nd Class Mannerheim Crosses Stolen

Sad news,

Recently there were news of a 2nd Class Mannerheim Cross being stolen from the Mikkeli Infantry Museum, number 138, that was awarded to Corporal Eero Seppänen during the Continuation War for his deeds in repelling enemy armor. There are reports that an another was also stolen.

I hope that the crosses are returned to their rightful place in the museum. They are in the museum for other generations to remember the heroic acts that the veterans did during the wars, I seriously cant believe that someone can be so low as to steal these valuable artifacts of history for their own benefit. Obnoxious.

News about the incident in Finnish:

MTV - Kotimaa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd Class Mannerheim Crosses Stolen
    P
    Many

Thanks for sharing this piece of news, it's a shame that this happens. Some go as far as robbing soldier's graves and selling their medals in the black market. However, remember that history is not in material objects; it is in the minds and memories of people who witnessed it.

?

Sometimes i have to agree with the way Moslem countries punish thiefs. "chop-chop" of with the fingers- and "chop-chop" of with the hands if the thief continues to steal.

I am 101% certain that this is the only way to control all these thiefs in the world today.
    Attached Images Attached Images 2nd Class Mannerheim Crosses Stolen 

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    Thanks for sharing this piece of news, it's a shame that this happens. Some go as far as robbing soldier's graves and selling their medals in the black market. However, remember that history is not in material objects; it is in the minds and memories of people who witnessed it.
    Trouble is they're either dying or already dead, and this is all that's left for future generations to learn from.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Trouble is they're either dying or already dead, and this is all that's left for future generations to learn from.....
    That is very true.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Which is why we should document their stories for the future. Which is what we have done. However, history always gets distorted no matter what, and the truth twists and sometimes even gets erased from the world. I don't think staring at old pieces of metal would really teach us anything.

alek,certain people will steal for their own collections,this has happened in the Kent Battle of Britain museum more than once.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    alek,certain people will steal for their own collections,this has happened in the Kent Battle of Britain museum more than once.
    This could very well be a case like that, that or a guy stealing them to sell abroad. Do you know if the items were ever returned to the museum in Kent?

Lets hope they turn up and returned to the museum

Quote by kradman View Post
    Lets hope they turn up and returned to the museum
    I really do hope so. This keeps haunting me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast