Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Cleaning rust stains...

Article about: been cleaning some seriously old rust stains vinegar (etc. stain removers) didn’t do anything to these... so i ordered this Tirfer stuff on ebay cost 15€ and melts fingers so it must be good

?

Default Cleaning rust stains...

been cleaning some seriously old rust stains vinegar (etc. stain removers) didn’t do anything to these...
    so i ordered this Tirfer stuff on ebay cost 15€ and melts fingers so it must be good...
    i think this is more meant to use on carpet stains but works well on these too...
    Cleaning rust stains... Cleaning rust stains...

M36 jacket looks ok at outside inside has been bit worn-out it had these rust stains in sleeve...
    some fibers were too rusty so they broke loose but out come clean enough...
    Cleaning rust stains... Cleaning rust stains...

some rust stains on mantteli rust was quite deep so i clean it couple of times...
    quite amazing fabric that sarka it can take all kinds of beating...
    but all in all Tirfer good product gets 5/5 paws for me...
    Cleaning rust stains...Cleaning rust stains...
    Cleaning rust stains...Cleaning rust stains...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning rust stains...
    P
    Many

?

Personally, I would have left the rust, looking at the damage this stuff did to the lining fabric...

Best regards,
    Bob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Personally, I would have left the rust, looking at the damage this stuff did to the lining fabric...

Best regards,
    Bob
    Yes, it seems to have removed the fabric rather than the rust!

?

Kohima
    looking at the damage this stuff did to the lining fabric...

HARRY THE MOLE
    it seems to have removed the fabric rather than the rust!

nah stuff it self didn't do really any damage other than bleaching color...
    its a tricky spot to clean thers allso those rusty irons behind it...
    and ofcourse it removes some fabric if there's only rust keeping it together...

Bleaching the colour alone would be enough to put me off using this method. I have a couple of uniforms with rust stains on the inner collar, likely from being on metal hangers for a long period of time. I'd never contemplate removing the stains. They're part of the item's history, even if it is damage, technically speaking. As long as the item is stored and displayed properly, a few rust stains will not cause any long-term damage.

It's a similar argument to cleaning relics, or laundering a dirty tunic. Even polishing cap badges or shell cases has a negative effect on collectibility. The item can be made to appear cleaner, but it loses some of its character in the process.

Regards, B.B.

Reminded me of the collector who used car wash to remove all the patina from his Wiederholungsspange 1939! Instantly devalued by aggressive cleaning. You got to be so careful with materials and reactive cleaners as some can continue to react with materials unless completely rinsed off.

?

BrodieBartfast
    partially agree depends on case some people find stains in visible places to be distracting...
    and in this case inside fabric is already severely worn so as i see it it looks mildly better without those rust stains...