Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

'The Commemorative Northern Cross and Petsamo-Rovaniemi Abzeichen'

Article about: To help kick off the new Finnish militaria sub forum of the Axis Militaria & Related forum, here is the first ever Finnish badge I bought and one of the last Finnish-German badges I have

Default 'The Commemorative Northern Cross and Petsamo-Rovaniemi Abzeichen'

To help kick off the new Finnish militaria sub forum of the Axis Militaria & Related forum, here is the first ever Finnish badge I bought and one of the last Finnish-German badges I have collected:

First up the 'Petsamo-Rovaniemi Abzeichen'

This is a Finnish made 'marching pin' from WW2 which Finnish and German soldiers could buy to use as a 'kampfkameraden' badge. It commemorates personnel who marched (walked, bicycled or drove) from Rovaniemi to Petsamo. Manufactured by Hopeatakomo.O.Y in Finland.

Second the 'The Commemorative Northern Cross'

Awarded to all those who served and fought in Finland and inscribed with 'POHJOISRINTAMA-DIE NORDFRONT' written in Finnish and German, the year (in this case 1941-1943), the flags of Finland and Nazi Germany, the shield of the Finnish Armed Forces and inscriptions of the Finnish regions: Salla, Kiestinki, Uhuta and Petsamo.

Here is a link to the Commemorative Northern Cross at AXIS & LEGION MILITARIA

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'The Commemorative Northern Cross and Petsamo-Rovaniemi Abzeichen'
    P
    Many

?

I somehow had managed to miss this thread until now. Super interesting info on both the 'marching pin' and the cross. Both new to me and both very nice looking IMO.
    The 'kampfkameraden' design is thought provoking in light of later events.

Here's an interesting photo of twelve variations of the Northern Front Cross that I found in an old post on Wehrmacht Awards:

Will post some more info about these variations later (its time for bed).

Thanks to Kemi for spurring me on...

Looks like everyone missed this thread until now. Here is my black enamelled 1941-42 version with H.G. Lindstrom - Helsinki fixing screw.

'The Commemorative Northern Cross and Petsamo-Rovaniemi Abzeichen''The Commemorative Northern Cross and Petsamo-Rovaniemi Abzeichen''The Commemorative Northern Cross and Petsamo-Rovaniemi Abzeichen'

?

Looks great. Nice patina

?

Great to see these very scarce badges .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...