MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?

Article about: Hey guys! Got this box and around 100 other rounds for free. All the headstamps are marked "VPT" either "40" or 41". I checked 7.62x54r.net the head stamps on that p

Thanks again for all the help guys! I also got a boat load of these 7.62 ammo. I assume post war, I checked 7.62x54r.net. Could not find anything? They have a yellow tip, any idea what yellow means? They are all either marked (60 39) or (60 37) any idea of when they where made? Thank you very much!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?   Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?
    P
    Many

Too easy.

The '60' indicates manufacture by the Frunze factory in the Soviet Union, and the '37'and '39' indicate the year of production, therefore you have pre-war Soviet ammunition.

The yellow tip indicates Heavy Ball with a bullet weight of about 182 grains. This was intended to give better long range performance in machine guns, but was also used in rifles - it was not exclusively used in MGs...

7.62x54r Ammunition Identification
    Russian & Soviet 7.62x54r

Quote by fernleaf View Post
    Too easy.

The '60' indicates manufacture by the Frunze factory in the Soviet Union, and the '37'and '39' indicate the year of production, therefore you have pre-war Soviet ammunition.

The yellow tip indicates Heavy Ball with a bullet weight of about 182 grains. This was intended to give better long range performance in machine guns, but was also used in rifles - it was not exclusively used in MGs...

7.62x54r Ammunition Identification
    Russian & Soviet 7.62x54r
    Oh that's great! Thanks so much Fernleaf!

Further to the VPT .303 British ammo...

Jaegarplatoon.net reports that Britain donated 100 Vickers MGs to Finland in 1940. Some were used by the Finnish Air Force for AA defence.

FINNISH ARMY 1918 - 1945: ANTIAIRCRAFT MACHINEGUNS

?

I thought blue tipped was incendiary?

Last of the ammo I got was 7.62 marked W 17 quick search looks like it was made by usa to supply russia during ww1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finish WW2, mosin nagant ammo?  

According to the Carpetbagger Aviation Museum VPT is known to have produced special armour piercing ammo for .303 caliber machine guns.

303CartRTT

Congrats Danny, you have some very interesting ammo there. Nothing like it to be found in my area.

?

Quote by Torch View Post
    Hi,different countries used different colour tip codes,Finland...blue is AP....UK....blue is incendiary.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by Torch View Post
    On Finnish ammunition the light blue tip indicated armour piercing bullets which is consistent with Aleksander P's box translation.

303CartRTT

(further down the page)

Quote by dastier View Post
    According to the Carpetbagger Aviation Museum VPT is known to have produced special armour piercing ammo for .303 caliber machine guns.

303CartRTT

Congrats Danny, you have some very interesting ammo there. Nothing like it to be found in my area.
    Thanks, and thanks for everyone's help! Without you guys I woulld have fired the blue tipped stuff in a mosin prob would not go well lol! Hahahahs just kidding I would never Fire vintage ammo! Much more enjoy collecting it than firing it!

I just got a tone of vintage ammo:

Italian ww2 1939 rifle ammo+stripper clips.

30-40 Krag early 1900s.

New Zealand 1942 .303 blanks.

1943 1944 1945 .30 carbine ammo.

1918 and 1945 45acp.

1917 30-06.

I tone of 7mm most dated 1942 can't find any info about it via looking up head stamp.

7.65 Argentina 1928.

All the 7.62 usa finish russian.

The .303 finish.

One Canadian 1944 9mm.

1941 50 cal round.

Dummy 20mm.

Some other stuff no idea what it is lol. Still going through all of these.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast