Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets

Article about: These items are a couple of my most recent acquirements. As the title might suggest, they are magazines for the Danish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon and they still have their old carrying boxes as

?

Default Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets

These items are a couple of my most recent acquirements. As the title might suggest, they are magazines for the Danish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon and they still have their old carrying boxes as well, other one with the SA marking on the lid.

Vesa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets   Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets  

Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets   Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets
    P
    Many

Stationary 20mm Madsens, usually installed in torpedo boats. If you ever happen to visit in Turku, Finland. There is museum named Forum Marinum. There are few of these, two torpedo boats in static display one 1937 made other maybe 1957 made. I think these were still use in Navy training ship late as 1980-ties.
    Pity I cant find pictures of them for now.

?

Yep! That is true. First Madsens were bought to Finland already in the 30s I think it was. And judging by the color of these magazines, I would guess that they were used by the army instead of the Navy? As the army used the Madsen cannons for AA role and then anti tank role.

Vesa

I think green paint is universal color which they painted some army depot. Purely I cant think they used 20mm Madsens anywhere else than by navy and airfrorce.
    French fighter Morane Saulnier M.S.406, propeller gun, maybe only Finnish fighter model to use it.

I suspect Madsens were ordered specifically only for the navy use. Did submarines also had one?

Taisto 3 boat, made in 1942, Forum Marinum

?

Madsens were indeed used for AA roles and AT roles as well. I have a couple of pictures from SA-kuva archive here:

Vesa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets   Finnish 20mm Madsen auto-cannon magazines with baskets  

I forgot that tripod version thing existed, thanks.
    Irony, Navy officer behind third picture. Battle on the island Rahmansaari where 11.th Coastal brigade fought. Link

Found one more boat, VMV-class patrol boat, VartioMoottoriVene 11. Made 1935 and operated in Ladoga, now found in city of Kotka, museum Merikeskus Vellamo.

Found new one photo. Tripod legs.
    Original caption goes "Laat.RPr, Saunaniemi. Ilmatorjunta harjoituksessa. Laatokka 1944.03.30"

Ladoga coastal brigade. There is also drum basket bottom left corner.