Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Finnish m17/18 aka Sohlberg civil defence helmet.

Article about: Finnish m17/18 aka Sohlberg civil defence helmet with m21 model Finnish liner. Repainted black from original green (some spots still visible) and sold to civil defence and firefighters in 19

Default Re: Finnish m17/18 aka Sohlberg civil defence helmet.

actually, it looks like yours is the earlier ww2 depot repaired / redone version - it is the one before 1940s/1950s models.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finnish m17/18 aka Sohlberg civil defence helmet.
    P
    Many

Its really hard to tell from photographs. Flash changes the look of the leather. Repairs get made in the field by unit armorers so the helmet look 'different' from what's normally 'accepted'. I don't think the chin strap is WW2.

It doesn't matter too much to me. I purchased this helmet for a very good (for me) price. This is the helmet that I'm thinking of using for my Polish prewar display as the 10th BK was famous for using German and Austrian M16 and M17 helmets. At the very least I'll have to replace the chin strap if I use it. Should also repaint it with the textured salamander colored anti-reflective finish that the Poles used but I'm feeling guilty about going that far.

Hi the liner is Finnish wartime with the metal helmet band ,the later war and post war ones had a leather helmet band holding the pads in place , the paint work on the helmet also looks original wartime Finnish to me so it would be a shame to repaint it ,i would leave it as is a nice helmet you have there and getting hard to find in Finland these days

I would keep original and just pick a shell and repro wz.31 liner from allegro and you have your "Maczek" helmet :-)

That's what I'm meant by feeling 'guilty'. I don't want to ruin a collectible helmet in its own right. I'll probably just buy a repro Polish chin strap and change that or even just leave the repro strap off the helmet and display it side by side.

meyle77,

A M16 or M17 shell with a repro wz.31 liner would work for a 10th BK display. What do shells and liners go for on Allegro? Thanks.

?

Hi
    Meyle77, is the chinstrap also replaced by the Finns? Or is that a Russian strap or was it the same style then, if not?
    Regards
    K.

All Finnish liner.

?

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    All Finnish liner.
    Thank you. Can anyone please post a picture of an original chinstrap? I cannot tell. ThereĀ“s canvas versions but these are said to be Austrian ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2