Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Finnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of Finland

Article about: Hello! Here we have a rare very large garison size early Finn flag from my collection. It looks to be hand dyed. I am told that pre-independence this flag design was supposed to be a "c

Default Finnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of Finland

Hello! Here we have a rare very large garison size early Finn flag from my collection. It looks to be hand dyed. I am told that pre-independence this flag design was supposed to be a "celebration flag" representing finish culture and heritage while it actually represented the hopes and dreams of the Finnish people gaining independence from Russia. Post independence it was one of the short list of proposed flags to be the official state flag but never was. The actual first official Finnish flag was a simple solid red background with the lion design in the middle. That first state flag was relatively similar to the Soviet and the red Finn communist flag seen in the civil war and therefore was replaced by the current design after only eight months. This flag is very large! There are letters sewn in of what I believe to be the makers initials, but can't be sure. I would be happy to hear any information that can be added about it. Finnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of FinlandFinnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of FinlandFinnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of Finland
    Finnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of Finland<- In 1917 a number of flag postcards were published.
    The flags in the picture were both suggested as
    a flag of Finland. Translated from Lippukortit | Akin keräilysivut The red flag was selected as the first flag of Finland.
    Last edited by Snakeman68; 06-10-2018 at 07:31 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of Finland
    P
    Many

Thats a very Rare flag thank you for showing

Default Updated information about historic pre-independence flag

Finnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of Finland

I have learned that this was the unofficial flag used by the Swedish speaking population from 1905 to 1917 during the final years that Finland was still a Grand Duchy of Russia prior to being proposed as the official state flag after independence.

A similar blue and white flag was used as an unoffical state flag by the Finnish speaking Finn population during the same time 1905-1917.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finnish Pre-Independence Proposed Flag of Finland