Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hawker Hurricane in the Finnish Air Force

Article about: Decided to post some photos and info about this legendary plane, as it was also used by the Finnish Air Force during the Continuation War (1941-1944). The Finnish Air Force acquired 12 MK I

Default Hawker Hurricane in the Finnish Air Force

Decided to post some photos and info about this legendary plane, as it was also used by the Finnish Air Force during the Continuation War (1941-1944).

The Finnish Air Force acquired 12 MK I Hurricanes from Great Britain during the latter part of the Winter War, but the war had already ended by the time they were ready for use. 2 planes were destroyed in transit, so in the end only 10 were available. Due to scarcity of replacement parts, only 5½ kills were achieved with these planes. Five Hurricanes were destroyed in battle and two from anti-aircraft fire, with four pilots losing their lives.

A restored Hawker Hurricane in Finnish colors:

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hawker Hurricane in the Finnish Air Force  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hawker Hurricane in the Finnish Air Force
    P
    Many

I wonder if they were ever in combat against Soviet operated Hurricanes?...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I can't say for sure Paul, but there was one Soviet Hurricane that was captured and put to use by the Finns.

Well they didn't shoot down any Soviet Hurricanes!....
    "The Hurricanes arrived too late to see action in the Winter War, but they scored 5½ air kills in the Continuation War: Four I-153 Chaikas, one SB bomber, and half a I-15bis were shot down."

Well they didn't shoot down any Soviet Hurricanes!....
    "The Hurricanes arrived too late to see action in the Winter War, but they scored 5½ air kills in the Continuation War: Four I-153 Chaikas, one SB bomber, and half a I-15bis were shot down."
    Forgot that the specifc shot down planes were also listed. Thanks for that Paul

The flying condition Hurricane in Finnish colours (code HC-465) is originally found from Canada in 1990-ties. There is only one surviving Finnish used Hurricane, code HC-452

Quote by Verikauha View Post
    The flying condition Hurricane in Finnish colours (code HC-465) is originally found from Canada in 1990-ties. There is only one surviving Finnish used Hurricane, code HC-452
    Thanks for the photos. Have to go to Tikkakoski to see it.

Gloster Gladiators were used Paul.... The Finns used them to shoot down 45 Russian aircraft for the loss of 15 Gladiators during the Winter War.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    Thanks for the photos. Have to go to Tikkakoski to see it.
    I fear you might not see it. There is Brewster fighter in its spot now, possibly in storage like Finnish captured Russian Aerocobra P39. I wonder what else they wont display because lack of display space.

Quote by Verikauha View Post
    I fear you might not see it. There is Brewster fighter in its spot now, possibly in storage like Finnish captured Russian Aerocobra P39. I wonder what else they wont display because lack of display space.
    Ah, should've guessed. Sad that they have a severe lack of space and it's impossible to acquire funds for a bigger hall. I think they should remove some of the modern ones from display.