Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M/36 Jaeger Lieutenant Tunic

Article about: Just scored this nice 1944 dated M/36 Jaeger tunic. I got excited and decided to make a thread for it already, I'll update the thread with better photos once I receive it.

Default M/36 Jaeger Lieutenant Tunic

Just scored this nice 1942 dated M/36 Jaeger tunic. I got excited and decided to make a thread for it already, I'll update the thread with better photos once I receive it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M/36 Jaeger Lieutenant Tunic   M/36 Jaeger Lieutenant Tunic  

M/36 Jaeger Lieutenant Tunic  
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 08-25-2016 at 01:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M/36 Jaeger Lieutenant Tunic
    P
    Many

Good tunic, Jaeger uniforms are harder to come by. Literally im getting sick of seeing infantry officer jackets everywhere

Some rough math, in wartime there were 6 Jaeger battalion, and 69+ infantry regiments. Only one out of ten is Jaeger tunic among infantry (11,5%).
    So congrats!

Quote by Verikauha View Post
    Good tunic, Jaeger uniforms are harder to come by. Literally im getting sick of seeing infantry officer jackets everywhere

Some rough math, in wartime there were 6 Jaeger battalion, and 69+ infantry regiments. Only one out of ten is Jaeger tunic among infantry (11,5%).
    So congrats!
    Thank you!

I know exactly what you mean - such a vast majority of wartime uniforms are infantry, that it makes my head ache.

Well Lagus tank division operated closely with jaeger battalions. And jaegers were considered as better "elite spearhead units" so i doubt they shared their insignias with others.

Dont know about jaeger companies, maybe only when jaeger companies were submitted to Infantry regiment control when defense line location and and chain of command demanded it during operation.
    That is likely the case, and borrowed company returned to their mother unit. Happened in many cases. Like infantry regiment JR55 were permanently given to Navy command because they lacked troops.

Maybe some Kevyt osastot / Light detachments who were formed from peace time Polkupyöräpataljoona / bicycle battalions could have had but I doubt it. I think they were form up from something and led by cavalry officers. As they were in Eskadroona formation (150 men), but didnt field horses.

Fun thing, I think original tunic owner wanted to add officer Lions under Jaeger insignia. Thats why they are so high in shoulderboard.

Well Lagus tank division operated closely with jaeger battalions. And jaegers were considered as better "elite spearhead units" so i doubt they shared their insignias with others.

Dont know about jaeger companies, maybe only when jaeger companies were submitted to Infantry regiment control when defense line location and and chain of command demanded it during operation.
    That is likely the case, and borrowed company returned to their mother unit. Happened in many cases. Like infantry regiment JR55 were permanently given to Navy command because they lacked troops.

Maybe some Kevyt osastot / Light detachments who were formed from peace time Polkupyöräpataljoona / bicycle battalions could have had but I doubt it. I think they were form up from something and led by cavalry officers. As they were in Eskadroona formation (150 men), but didnt field horses.
    That's a good possibility. I remember reading about an early war infantry regiment that had an jaeger company, but I think this was a thing very early in the war. I'll have to go back and check.

Fun thing, I think original tunic owner wanted to add officer Lions under Jaeger insignia. Thats why they are so high in shoulderboard.
    I think that's what happened, as this tunic was probably acquired very late in the war. You can often see officers missing their officer or branch of service insignia in wartime photos, sometimes they don't have anything on their shoulder boards! One thing that perplexes me is that a veterans son sold this to me and told that his father led a mortar company during the war. I don't understand why he would have a jaeger tunic whilst serving in a mortar company. He didn't seem to know in detail what his father did during the war, so it's a possibility that he was transferred. He told his name tho, so I'll have to look him up.

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    One thing that perplexes me is that a veterans son sold this to me and told that his father led a mortar company during the war. I don't understand why he would have a jaeger tunic whilst serving in a mortar company. He didn't seem to know in detail what his father did during the war, so it's a possibility that he was transferred. He told his name tho, so I'll have to look him up.
    Mortal is close range support weapon, usual range 3km, heaviest 120mm up to 5-6km. Mortal companies operated closely with infantry for immediate support. Yes they are artillery pieces but were under infantry regiments command, one mortal company per infantry battalion. It seems in winter war there was only one mortal company for whole regiment, but changed in continuation war one for each battalion.

I suspect mortals used infantry insignias, while real artillery regiments used their own red and flaming bomb insignias.
    Nowadays mortal companies are trained among infantry regiment training centers, with their own fire-leaders etch.

Nice tunic and as you put getting harder to find , I do still love the fact that you can still pick up wartime tunics in Finland at good prices

Thank you! It's pretty amazing how cheap Finnish wartime tunics can be when compared to other countries. This one only cost me 100 euros.

Mortal is close range support weapon, usual range 3km, heaviest 120mm up to 5-6km. Mortal companies operated closely with infantry for immediate support. Yes they are artillery pieces but were under infantry regiments command, one mortal company per infantry battalion. It seems in winter war there was only one mortal company for whole regiment, but changed in continuation war one for each battalion.

I suspect mortals used infantry insignias, while real artillery regiments used their own red and flaming bomb insignias.
    Nowadays mortal companies are trained among infantry regiment training centers, with their own fire-leaders etch.
    Mortar troops did indeed use infantry insignia. During the Continuation War a regiment had one mortar company that used 120mm mortars. Infantry regiments had three battalions and there was one mortar platoon per battalion. Mortar platoons were lighter and thus used 81mm or 82mm mortars.

Therefore he couldn't have been in a jaeger battalion, if he served in a mortar company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast