Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Odd camouflage colour on finnish M/55 steel helmet

Article about: So I decided to see if there was another colour under the SA(Suomen Armeija) Gray of the helmet. I scratched it a little bit with a leatherman, and look what I found. An very weird green col

Default Odd camouflage colour on finnish M/55 steel helmet

So I decided to see if there was another colour under the SA(Suomen Armeija) Gray of the helmet. I scratched it a little bit with a leatherman, and look what I found. An very weird green colour. Take a look yourself and tell me was this used on these?

And I feel stupid not knowing this even though I am from Finland and collect Finnish Defence Forces militaria.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd camouflage colour on finnish M/55 steel helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Odd camouflage colour on finnish M/55 steel helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Odd camouflage colour on finnish M/55 steel helmet

Hi the Finnish m55 helmets all came from Germany in the factory Green paint ,The Finnish army later painted some grey and left some with the green paint hence the reason you can find both painted helmets in Finland in green and grey ,They did also the same thing with the German ,M16 ,M17,m18 ,M35 ,M40 ,M42 helmets some are in the original German paint and some have been painted grey maybe done when the original paint work was badly damaged ,Always worth a look you can sometimes find German ww2 helmets mixed in with the M55 helmets at the SA shops i have found quite a few over the years just look for the shell that are stamped with the helmet number and shell size ,The m55 helmet shells were never stamped with sizes or helmet numbers only sized stamped on the liners

?

Aggggh you scratched the paint off!!!

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Aggggh you scratched the paint off!!!
    My thoughts exactly...

Hi,
    I know it is an old post, but I have a helmet with the same (as far as I see) colour. My helmet is from Hungary. Please see this:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...helmet-301472/
    I am also looking for what it is. Did you find any interesting thing? Thank you if you answer me!
    Gyuri from Hungary

Hi,
    ((((I wrote to you before, but it seems to me, my comment was lost in the cyberspace...... ))))

So I have an M40 helmet with remains of a strange light green paintings. Please, check the link below:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...helmet-301472/
    Whan do you think, this light green painting on my helmet could be the same as on yours?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Gyuri

Hi Gyuri
    Your helmet doesnt have the same paint as this M55 helmet , The Finnish Army painted most of their postwar helmets this green color or grey as can be seen in the photos of the M55 above , i am sorry i have no idea about your helmet and its odd paint work

Thanks for the answer!
    Gyuri