Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Photos from the SA-kuva archive

Article about: I frequently browse the SA-kuva site and thus decided to make a thread dedicated to it. You can find many interesting, high-quality photos of different kinds of uniform layouts, camouflaged

Soldiers with skulls painted on their helmets, Haukijärvi c. 1942. Possibly Kevyt osasto 4 (Light Detachment 4) or Infantry Regiment 46. Photo number 173233
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos from the SA-kuva archive  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photos from the SA-kuva archive
    P
    Many

A famous color photo of soldiers with the same skulls painted on their helmets. Note the colored twain on the shoulder straps - Infantry Regiment 46 used white, black and yellow. Theirs appear to be white and black though.

Edit: The soldiers could also be from the 3rd brigade "blue brigade", which served in the direction of Haukijärvi in 1942. Their twain was white and blue, but it could be that the colors in the photo have altered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos from the SA-kuva archive  

?

Thanks for the link to that Archive. It looks great so far, especially the colour pictures are breathtaking!
    Too bad the search function has some problems, even when i use finnish search terms as stated i get no results.
    Is there some trick or something i misunderstood for typing in search terms?

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance,
    Konrad

Quote by Komoto View Post
    Thanks for the link to that Archive. It looks great so far, especially the colour pictures are breathtaking!
    Too bad the search function has some problems, even when i use finnish search terms as stated i get no results.
    Is there some trick or something i misunderstood for typing in search terms?

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance,
    Konrad
    Hello Konrad,

That's odd, the photos should pop up. You should try using only the Finnish version of the site, the Swedish and English one's only translate the search options, nothing more. Like you've noticed, the search engine only works with Finnish words (although some photos are captioned in Swedish). In the Finnish version of the site, click "+päivättömät" (dateless) to find all photos with the selected word, not just the ones that have a date marked.

Also, make sure that you don't have the "color" or "video" mode enabled. There are only 819 color photos in the archive.

You could try the word "saksalainen" - german. Let me know if it works.

?

Thanks Aleksander! Works like a charm now, especially searching for "saksalainen" helped alot to narrow it down.

Found my helmet!

WOW! Talk about counting your lucky stars! (In reference to the undetonated mortar round in the soldier's shoulder)

Power of re-coloriacation. More coloured pics behind link

Finnish ski troops during the Continuation War. January 30, 1942.
    --
    Interesting photo, two PPD-40 and corporal (alikersantti) in middle has G33/40 german rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2