MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

rough condition m/36 tunic

Article about: I like the look of the tunic also , a nice piece of history ! Interesting with the marksmans badge still attached

Had a hard life most likely worn for many years by a farmer after Army service

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement rough condition m/36 tunic
    P
    Many

Yes, I have seen something similar before, wonder that shoulder boards is not torn out.. I think it was quite common for the jacket if it was introduced for civilian use?

Normally if sold off by the Finnish army it would have the M in the circle so most likely worn home after the war and used for civilian use ,you are right about the shoulder boards normally taken off the tunic

Odd that the shooting badge was attached to the tunic, while in civilian use.

maybe he was proud veteran not so traumatized as most of them.. my grandfather burned everything, uniform,medals and everything that reminded warfare (except backpack)

Quote by SnowMonster View Post
    maybe he was proud veteran not so traumatized as most of them.. my grandfather burned everything, uniform,medals and everything that reminded warfare (except backpack)
    I just thought that they were usually kept in good conditions inside the household. My great-grandfather and great-uncle did the same and disposed most of their stuff. I have my great-grandfathers photo album and ID, but nothing else from the war and I heard that he burnt a lot of things, like he's dead wife's belongings. My great-uncle was ambushed on the river Svir and was one of the only, if not the only to survive from his convoy, so he was traumatized too. So he didn't leave anything.

So we share the same fate.. I also have some photos, I'll put here pictures of them in the coming days. So they, too, have experienced the true horrors of war :/ has certainly been a horrible experience.. I did not get the opportunity to talk with my grandfather before his transition to eternity, I was in his opinion, too young to talk about the war (10years old) he was pioneer and placed in Svir power plant, when the support was cut off they ran out of food, first of all they hunted squirrels and all that they caught and also one bear.. at one point he was seriously wounded but did not tell me in more detail. that's all he told me, my great-uncle went to the bottom with coastal defence ship Ilmarinen. my relatives think I'm crazy and should not be digging the past, maybe it's because I'm the only who cares history

Quote by SnowMonster View Post
    So we share the same fate.. I also have some photos, I'll put here pictures of them in the coming days. So they, too, have experienced the true horrors of war :/ has certainly been a horrible experience.. I did not get the opportunity to talk with my grandfather before his transition to eternity, I was in his opinion, too young to talk about the war (10years old) he was pioneer and placed in Svir power plant, when the support was cut off they ran out of food, first of all they hunted squirrels and all that they caught and also one bear.. at one point he was seriously wounded but did not tell me in more detail. that's all he told me, my great-uncle went to the bottom with coastal defence ship Ilmarinen. my relatives think I'm crazy and should not be digging the past, maybe it's because I'm the only who cares history
    That is interesting. My great-uncle was defending the Svir bridgehead, which I think was relatively close to the power plant, so they may have even met each other. Do you know the regiment he served in? Mine was II/JR45 (Jalkaväkirykmentti 45, 2 pataljoona). He served as a mortar crewman and as a machine gunner for 3 months. I also heard at his funeral that he was a sharpshooter for sometime, but I couldn't find any mention of that in the archives. It would make sense that he was tho, since that part of my family is from Rovaniemi and there are a lot of wild animals to hunt there and it goes in the family. I've never heard of an incident like that there, which is very interesting. I wonder if they we're out of food for long? One thing that is often forgotten is that Finnish soldiers and civilians too were starving on some level, one veteran told me how he was young and often saw hunger, especially because of his young age. Your great-uncle served on a legendary ship that the Russians many times tried to sink, may he rest in peace.

You find also in Finland after the war there was a big problem finding clothing so old Army clothing was used ,you see alot of after the war kids clothes made from the great coat cloth where it has been cut up to make clothes

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    That is interesting. My great-uncle was defending the Svir bridgehead, which I think was relatively close to the power plant, so they may have even met each other. Do you know the regiment he served in? Mine was II/JR45 (Jalkaväkirykmentti 45, 2 pataljoona). He served as a mortar crewman and as a machine gunner for 3 months. I also heard at his funeral that he was a sharpshooter for sometime, but I couldn't find any mention of that in the archives. It would make sense that he was tho, since that part of my family is from Rovaniemi and there are a lot of wild animals to hunt there and it goes in the family. I've never heard of an incident like that there, which is very interesting. I wonder if they we're out of food for long? One thing that is often forgotten is that Finnish soldiers and civilians too were starving on some level, one veteran told me how he was young and often saw hunger, especially because of his young age. Your great-uncle served on a legendary ship that the Russians many times tried to sink, may he rest in peace.
    I do not know but I'm going to the archives to look for if there could find any information about him.. He was there for a really long time so it is quite possible that they were in the same trenches.. I guess it has to happen during the winter and continue for several months. my family is from kymenlaakso.Attachment 689698 a little bad quality(thanks to nokia), but there it is Svir power plant

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast