Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tribute to my great-grandfather

Article about: I'm about to make a display of Finnish war stuff. in memory of my great-grandfather. who fought in both the Finnish Winter War and Continuation War. sadly, all his belongings have been disca

Default Re: Tribute to my great-grandfather

very nice ive started a similar project but for my great grandad (ww1)
    i love that trench art photo frame looks brilliant

tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tribute to my great-grandfather
    P
    Many

?

it was nice to hear. I hope there will be some pictures soon.

here is a close up pic on the frame. it says 1942-1941 muisto.
    muisto is finnish for memory. so i think it will look great with a picture with my grandfather
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tribute to my great-grandfather  

?

soon my search over. I just need to get home two medals. I decided I would look up my great-uncle medals as well. so now im almost done with him to. here is some pix

the man to the left is my great-grandfather and to the right is his son. the pix of him,I believe is taken in a military hospital in 1944-1945.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tribute to my great-grandfather   Tribute to my great-grandfather  

?

I just got a letter that i have been waiting for a long time. it was from the Finnish war veteran brotherhood. they sent a medal my great-grandfather never got because he died before they began to distribute them. so they sent the medal posthumous to me instead.

the medal is called Karjalan Risti or Karelian Cross in English and you got it by
    be assigned at least 1 month during the Continuation War served in the Karelian Army - Tour Aunus staff or direct their subordinate units, agencies, institutions or those who, during the Winter War served in the peninsula's army on the Isthmus or west of this in the war zone in the mobilized units, staffs, or facilities, and during those obeying other devices which do not qualify for any other sector of the front or dont got any Commemorative cross from the winter War.
    Cross was founded in 1957

The medals left to right

Commemorative Medal of the Winter War with clasps Karjalan Kannas
    Commemorative Medal of the Continuation War
    Karelian Cross
    6. Division Commemorative Cross
    Finnish War Veteran's medal

So now, I miss just his medal from the independence war.

I hope you understand me. My English is not so good
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tribute to my great-grandfather   Tribute to my great-grandfather  

Tribute to my great-grandfather   Tribute to my great-grandfather  

?

Hi Kemi , it is wonderful to see you are so proud of your grandfather and great grandfather and also that you know the history of how and why these medals were awarded to them , you are a credit to your family . Your display looks great and is a nice tribute . Also congrats on receiving the Karjalan Risti , you must be thrilled !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Very nice project my friend I have an old Mora knife very similar to the knife you have displayed here.

mpw
    ?

Your English is excellent an so is your project. I am sure future generations of your family will thank you for your hard and enjoyable work.

Mark.

?

thank you very much. I'm glad you like my display. Of course, I'm very proud of my relatives who fought in the war for Finland's independence. I'm pretty amazed by how the finns could stop the Red Army which had over one million soliders vs finlands twohundred and fifty thousand soliders. and only 30 tanks
    that they had taken from red army.

?

Hello!

After a few months of searching and talking with different Finnish organizations.
    I've found two new medals that my Great-grandfather was qualified for but never received.

The First one is "Vapaussodan muistomitali" (Liberation War 1918 Medal)

Finnish Liberation War Commemorative Medal was established on the 10th September 1918 by the Finnish Senate decree 170/1918.
    All who participated in the Liberation War against Russia were entitled to that commemorative award, including non-Finnish troops who fought on the soil of Finland

The second one is "Sininen risti" (Blue Cross) Service within the Civil Guard,lotta-svärd (Suojeluskunta)
    Did get a Document with this.

I Also found his border pass in a scrapbook. This pass is so he could get in to sweden, this one is from 1946.

And last some off my Finnish headgear two field cap and one lotta-svärd

?

Superb Kemi , and well done on your research and obtaining you're Great Grandfathers other two medals ! By the way that blue cross and certificate look fantastic
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast