Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Tribute to my great-grandfather

Article about: I'm about to make a display of Finnish war stuff. in memory of my great-grandfather. who fought in both the Finnish Winter War and Continuation War. sadly, all his belongings have been disca

Default Re: Tribute to my great-grandfather

Moi,

Amazing work. To sum up the patch has what colour?
    You have really done a great work on your relatives and their service.
    It is interesting that the two brothers fought side by side. I don't know if that was common during the war? Maybe you can answer that question? Again, I am jealous that I can't do the same research as you do and have done.

Cheers,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tribute to my great-grandfather
    P
    Many

?

Moi,

kiitos. The color of his patches should be red. And when he was promoted, he will get two black streaks in them.
    unfortunately I can not answer that question, i dont know how common that was. I have just found out some new exciting information when i visited my grandmother that I'm about to work on now.

If you want, you can send me a pm. so i can try to help you

Moi,

Wow. Yes it seems dark. So red is a good guess.
    I don't know either how common it was. Maybe others to this thread can give their opinion.

I am looking forward to hear news for you on the new exciting information you have found.

The problem is I don't know a lot of the relatives full names and date of birth. I have had some correspondence with the Arkisto but based on some of the dates and names I have they haven't found something. Maybe and most likely the information I have is wrong.

?

Moi,

okej, that´s was really bad. Have u try to do some genealogical research. i think it not be very hard to find. there are a lot of websites on the internet where you can try. tex i did found some of my relatives that emigrated to usa on the internet. then there is also a small risk that the Arkisto have lost his information under the war. but I hope you will find what you need.

Moi,

Genealogy search. I have already tried. But the problem is that you of some reason can't search the parish books on the internet from 1900+. Sadly. And it is difficult to find the exact date of birth if you don't know it. I think the parishes in North Karelia are pretty tired of some of my questions.
    I think my next move is to try to find some relatives in Finland and hope they have some information I can go further on with. I hope to.

?

Hello!

I have now decided to expand my tribute, Therefore, I have just heard my great-grandfather's second brother also fought in the Winter War and he never had any children that could honor him so I shall keep his memory alive.

He was a solider in the winterwar who fought at Suomussalmi and Raate Road battle where they Finnish soldiers had About 6000-10.000 soliders against the russians 13,962 -25 000. it's a pretty well known battle in Finnish history the finn lost 402 soliders and the russian lost at least 7,000–9,000 killed 1,300 captured

My relative Did get Medal of Liberty 2class and 1class (Medal for Bravery) He also did get seriously injured under the war. He´s body was 40 % disability

Here is a ribbon i just did to showcase in his memory. (As usual, my surviving relatives tossed everything)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tribute to my great-grandfather   Tribute to my great-grandfather  

?

I thought I could refresh my great-uncle's display a little bit. So I bought some frames and had myself a littel crafting moment. I was quite happy with the result, but if it is someone has some great suggestions how it can be better, I would be happy for some help.

I was also told today that I was invited to my great-grandfather's brother's daughter this summer to our family-house in Finland, i hope i will get good information from her. I have never met her or been in the houses before so it will be pretty exciting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tribute to my great-grandfather   Tribute to my great-grandfather  

Moi Kemi.
    I am glad to hear that you will honour your relative since he had no children. Yes I am familiar with the battle. You really have a great family history. Have you received his military documents since you know his rewards or is it told to you by relatives? Again. Great pictures. Great tribute.
    I like your crafting moment. Excellent work. But maybe I would fold the blue cross medal so it did get the same height as the continuation-war medal. Otherwise it's looking really really good.

Nothing like something to look forward to. Hope you will get a lot of information and maybe even some details you did not know.

Terveisin,
    René

?

Moi Rene.

No i have not received his military documents. Actually i did get some help to Find in him in a book from Finland called (Suomen rintamamiehet) "Finnish front men" and in it was written some brief information about him battles,medals and so on!

Okey thank's i did not see that until you said it, i appreciate that i have some more medals to frame in to My other relatives!

I hope so to, My dream would be that she have Any old photo albums

Moi Kemi.
    Okay. I have heard a liitle about the books, but not that much.
    So then you just need to know what division your relative served in or how does it work?
    Sounds great. Maybe I could find some relatives and their service time this way.

You welcome. But else it seems great. Looking forward to see it. Please take some pictures from distance as well.

Hope you recieve what you dream of.

Terveisin,
    René

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast