Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Winter War Medal 1939-40

Article about: Just picked up this nice Winter War medal. I really like the design of this medal particularly the 'sniper' on the obverse This example has the Laatokan Karjala bar. In total there were 15 b

Awesome Which are the scarcest clasps in your opinion?

Thanks for sharing

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter War Medal 1939-40
    P
    Many

Dont know really i picked up these all in Finland so were quite easy to find

?

are the heralds around it ? the heralds of FINNISH TOWNS?

?

sorry, what are the heralds around it? a senior moment.

Quote by toot View Post
    sorry, what are the heralds around it? a senior moment.
    I think they represent the regions of Finland... maybe our Finnish friends can confirm?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I think "toot" is asking miniature coat of arms, the heralds represents 8 provinces of Finland.

In military heralds are officer ranks, and common decoration in Finnish military heraldry.

Separate herald only appears in Civil war participation medal 1918. Not in winter war participation medals.

Just added a third Foreign Volunteer medal. This one has the 'Lappi' clasp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter War Medal 1939-40  

These are my three medals awarded to Foreigners
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter War Medal 1939-40   Winter War Medal 1939-40  

As you can see from this comparison the medals for foreigners are larger than the standard medal and have a different design on the reverse.
    The Bronze example was awarded to civilian foreign volunteers and is probably the least common of the three.

I believe only two clasps were awarded to Foreigners... Lappi and Kentaameija.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm always on the look out for the remaining clasps

I'm looking for..

Kainu
    Mantsinsaari
    Pohjois-Karjala
    Summa
    Suomussalmi
    Tolvajarvi
    Rannikkopuolustus

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter War Medal 1939-40  

?

Verikauha, yes that is what I was asking. thank you for the reply.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast