Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

3 flag, which to buy!!!!!

Article about: I have a chance to purchase to by one or all of the flags. I will only be able to buy one. Which one to buy is the question. I know it is up to me BUT......... I my leaning towards number 3.

?

I would take them all. Then you have some items to trade for other treasures in the future.

祈武運長久

Buun Chōkyū
    Prayers for Everlasting Fortune in Battle

Is it just me, or does the last character look
    like a person wielding a sword.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi Steve,

I can't speak to the sword comment but the five kanji you have posted would read Ki Buun Chokyuu I believe, not just Buun Chokyuu.

As for the flags ... while I like the fact flag #3 has the hanko (which may be identifiable if shown clearly) I would pick flag #1 for it's bold well defined characters, visual balance and the less often encountered "Serve the Nation with ultimate loyalty" slogan.

However, there is an old saying that can be applied here ... Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Hmmm, I see that Guy posted the expression the same way as you did Steve. Perhaps my reading of it is incorrect.

Guy, will you clarify please ... and thanks.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hmmm, I see that Guy posted the expression the same way as you did Steve. Perhaps my reading of it is incorrect.

Guy, will you clarify please ... and thanks.

Regards,
    Stu
    My bad! Cutting and pasting, I forgot to translate the "prayers for" part.

武運長久

Ki Buun Chōkyū
    Prayers for Everlasting Fortune in Battle

--Guy

I liked number three as well, but after seeing the translation, and knowing that, I kinda started liking number one as well. Just buy them all, it leaves no room for regrets.

?

Thanks for the clarification Guy. I still struggle with kanji (as you know) and want to make sure I am reading and understanding correctly each step along the way. As always your assistance with these translations is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Stu

gentleman, I want to thank everyone for the input. I think I will be going with number 3. Any ideas on some of the writing on it. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I think #3 seems like a nice choice as well, just going by the general aesthetics of it it's definitely the "sharper" looking of the three!

Upper right"
    産土大神
    謹書

Ubusuna Ōkami
    Kinsho
    Great God Ubusuna
    Humbly Written

Seal:
    [佐太神社]
    Sada Jinja
    Sada [Shinto] Shrine

At the 3:00 o'clock position [rotated]
    南無妙法蓮華經
    Namu Myōhōrengekyō
    Hail! The Mystic Law of the Lotus Scripture!
    [this "nembutsu" is chanted by both the Nichiren sect and Nichiren Shoshu sect of Buddhism [break-off]. During the war the Nichiren Shoshu [lay movement: Sokka Gakkai] was suppressed, so I'm voting for the original Nichiren sect founded by Nichiren Shonin.

Right border; 4:00 o'clock:
    弥榮
    Iya Saka
    best of luck; all the best; hurray; hoorah

5:00 o'clock on a diagonal:
    大和心
    Yamato Kokoro
    Japanese Spirit!

5:50 o'clock:
    祈武運長久
    Ki Buun chōkyū
    Prayer/Wishes for Everlasting Fortune in Battle

7:00 o'clock:
    剛健
    Gōken
    Vigor
    [I wonder if there is a nuance I'm missing ... one brief explanation included "brutality". Separately, the words mean Strong/Hard/Manly and Health/Persistance/Strength]

8:00 o'clock bottom left corner [& 10:00 o'clock]:
    必勝
    Hisshō
    Certain Victory

Okay .... I'll quit here ... If you buy this one let us know and I'll finish. There are about five more that I can translate [with research, which is why I'm stopping now -- have office work to finish.

--Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast