Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

3 flags, genuine pre 1945?

Article about: Greetings members. Can any of you help me with three Japanese flags I am considering purchasing. My main concerns are whether they are military, and if they are pre 1945. Two are silk and on

?

Default 3 flags, genuine pre 1945?

Greetings members. Can any of you help me with three Japanese flags I am considering purchasing. My main concerns are whether they are military, and if they are pre 1945. Two are silk and one is cotton. I appreciate any input you may have, thank you. ~scott
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 flags, genuine pre 1945?   3 flags, genuine pre 1945?  

3 flags, genuine pre 1945?  

If you need to decide going only by such tiny photos, avoid the last 2, but your 1st photo is also not large enough to tell whether all the names are in different handwriting.

?

Mr Komiya, thank you for your reply. I am going to see all 3 flags in person on Sat. The seller has said he has many original WW2 Japanese items for sale. Unfortunately, I have only recently become interested in these items. I have been reading this forum and learned how much I don't know. If the seller is legit, hopefully he'll let me take better photos. In one of your earlier posts, you asked that we who seek your help, post the photos oriented correctly. I apologize if they aren't, I don't know which way they should go.

You were lucky then, as I would not have replied if they were not oriented correctly. None of them are one-looker originals and I should add that there are some liabilities already in the first flag as well. The top logo is in post war orientation and the writing in the orb is generally taboo in Japan. If the rest does not show enough variation in handwriting, you should pass. The middle one does not even show a slogan placing it pre-45 and may not be war related, but for sports like an international tennis match even. The last one is just out of question.

All three are being offered for sale on the Wehrmacht Awards e-stand as originals - did you, the OP share this information with the seller?

There isn't anything substantial to share with the seller. They are neither one-looker good nor bad, but in the nebulous grey zone, where most items sold are in. I personally would avoid all 3, but that is a question of color preference, of how much joy you can squeeze out of grey.