Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 sword

Article about: Hello Gents, I just found this sword and the seller offered me some photos as below. Is it good? The maker mark seems to be "固山宗兵衛宗次

Default 98 sword

Hello Gents,
    I just found this sword and the seller offered me some photos as below.
    Is it good?
    The maker mark seems to be "固山宗兵衛宗次作之".
    98 sword98 sword98 sword98 sword
    Many thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Wolfgang
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 98 sword  

There are at least 4 different swords shown here, including
    what could be a couple of repros.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The pictures are horrible and lack any detail. The mei on the first sword of Koyama Munetsugu can not be judged as the mei is not defined in the pictures. There were several generations of Koyama Munetsugu working in Edo in the early-mid 19th century. The first's work was fairly good. Nothing can be determined from these pictures. If this individual deals in Japanese swords he should know better. I agree with Walkwolf that a couple of the mountings appear to be Chinese. As to the Munetsugu sword, a clear picture of the entire nakago is required with the kanji readable. At this point, I would proceed with great caution.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 12-27-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Default Hmmm

Trust these guys.... They have "Been there done that"...Gwar
    Attached Images Attached Images 98 sword 

?

Hello Wolfgang,

As Steve says there are at least four different swords in your post with the potential for a fifth. I mean no offense but if you are not recognizing that it would be best for you to spend some time learning about sword basics before spending any money. To that end I suggest acquiring John Yumoto's book "THE SAMURAI SWORD, A Handbook". It can be purchased through Sacho at this link ...

www.satcho.com: Japanese Sword · Books · Supplies

You will find it in the section marked Introductory Texts.

While on that site have a look at the work by Dawson titled "SWORDS OF IMPERIAL JAPAN: 1868-1945, CYCLOPEDIA EDITION". It is in the Reference book section and is the current gold for military swords.

Regards,
    Stu

The book by Yumoto Sensei is a good place to start. Few people today know that he was keibei, a Japanese American sent by his family to Japan for education and then returned to the USA. While in Japan in the 1920's and 30's, he studied the appreciation of the Japanese sword and it's fittings. He even studied how to make iron tsuba. John was very instrumental in the growth of sword study and collecting in the US. He was a guest speaker at the sword shows in the USA on a regular basis in the 1970's and 80's. He conducted an annual sword study tour to Japan that was always well attended. John also was the first person to make sword polishing in Japan available to the average collector. He began working as an agent for same in the mid 1970's. He passed away in the late 1980's several days before his annual tour left for Japan. The tour went on without him but it was not the same. I feel fortunate to have had him for a friend and teacher. He also opened doors for me in Japan that helped with my continued study. His book was where I started many years ago and would be a great starting point for any interested collector.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Very complex detailed area of study I had a couple of battle damaged army officers in the 80's before so many Chinese Asian repos one of them was taken apart by a French collector and he told me it was a 17th century blade in army mounts I ended up selling both to him as one had bullet or schrapel damage to scabbard one was probably flame thrower with black on the handle and scabbard me being uneducated in them had no idea of the value or makers of them. So as Bob says read all you can I may or may not have sold valuable one but as I stated the condition wasn't the greatest but definitely original battlefield damage. timothy

Hello Steve,
    I agree with you that these photos are for at least 3 different swords.
    I asked the seller to send more photos in details.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Best regards,
    Wolfgang

Hello Bob,
    You are right that I need ask for more photos to show the details on the parts you mentioned.
    Many thanks for you tips!
    I am really fresh man for the IJA swords.
    One beginner at level of zero.
    But I am planning to collect one 98 sword if there is a good one with reasonable price.
    By the way, could you please suggest the acceptable price for the 98 sword, which is shown in the first image?
    Thanks!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Best regards,
    Wolfgang

You are right.
    They are the professionals who I can trust.
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast