Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?

Article about: I really anticipated this one. Picked it up yesterday and it was night and day compared to the last (No Mekugi!). When asked if he had the handle off, he stated that there was a foundry mark

Default After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?

I really anticipated this one. Picked it up yesterday and it was night and day compared to the last (No Mekugi!). When asked if he had the handle off, he stated that there was a foundry mark on the tank. What I found was way more than I had bargained for. Also noted was the wear and evidence of quite a bit of handling on the handle. A question asked by Rod was if the tsuba was loose (still don't know how he knew to ask that) and it was. After the pic's last night I reassembled and it is a tight fit. I do not believe the mekugi was fully installed from the last removal. So, my question is, did my search finally pay off? With a signature on both sides as well as the paint, I am curious if it will yield a little more info than just a foundry stamp. The story on this is it is a bring back from Guadalcanal. I wanted to get your opinions before I contacted the seller to get additional info on the GI's family and possibly military history. Thanks so much in advance!!After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?After 2 fakes, Pay Dirt?

?

The sword looks fine, although I think the story might be a little shaky. Maybe it squeaked by and actually made it to Guadalcanal, but with a tang date of Nov. 1942 and the IJA/IJN leadership drawing up plans to abandon Guadalcanal by mid/late December 1942, it seems that maybe the sword may have been picked up somewhere else. Never say never I suppose: A Japanese battalion was sent in as part of a rear guard for the Operation Ke evacuation plan in January, 1943.

Tom

Rod
    ?

Thanks so much for posting the pics. This one looks like a great start, it's complete and nice. Tom is right in what he says, and that gives you its age. The date is on the side with the sharp edge facing left, point up. Congratulations on a fine purchase!

Best, Rod

?

A very nice war time sword friend.

The blade is made by Kanenori. It is dated the 11th month of the 17th year of Showa(November, 1942). I agree that it would not be from Guadalcanal with that date. From the pictures, it appears to be an oil tempered blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you Bob. Would this have been a descendant of Mino? Or a happy coincidence?

The majority of factory made military blades were made in Seki City, which is the area where the Mino tradition was developed.
    BOB

Another question is in regarding the paint. I read that as a 3 and a 6? What is the significance of that?

Quote by swbeck55 View Post
    Another question is in regarding the paint. I read that as a 3 and a 6? What is the significance of that?
    They are assembly numbers put on in the factory as the blade was fitted to mounts.
    BOB

So the 3 that is stamped into the tsuba would refer to a specific "size" or "thickness"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast