Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another Type 98 sword!

Article about: The local gun show was in town this weekend. I went saturday morning and did not find anything. I desided to go back today to see if anything had changed. Everything thing looked about the s

Default Another Type 98 sword!

The local gun show was in town this weekend. I went saturday morning and did not find anything. I desided to go back today to see if anything had changed. Everything thing looked about the same just a little more picked over. I was getting ready to leave and saw an acquaintance of mine another kid about my age. He had this type 98 sword that was brought back from wwii by his grandfather he was selling to get money for an engagement ring. The condition was surprisingly good. To make a long story short I was able to get the sword for a real good price. It has a family mon and what looks to be a surrender tag! I am still just giddy about finding it! It also has kanji on both sides of the tag I need help reading. I can get some chalk and take better pictures of it if needed. Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Type 98 sword!   Another Type 98 sword!  

Another Type 98 sword!   Another Type 98 sword!  

Another Type 98 sword!  

?

Default Re: Another Type 98 sword!

That is a beautiful sword you got there. It looks more like a Koto period sword with the nakago being so dark. From the little I can see, the habaki also looks like it is from an older period. The blade looks in outstanding condition!!!
    Nice Snag!!!!!! I would be giddy also If I brought that Home!!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice!
    I really like the looks of this one.
    Congrats on "snagging" this one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for your replys Phil and Ralph and for the likes from my other friends. I can't wait to see what information the surrender tag will reveal about the orginal owner and the significance of the number 125 on it also. Thanks, Robert

Without knowing a whole lot about these, or the correct/technical terms
    for any of the parts, I can only say I really like this one. I think I'd
    have to spend about $1500+ to buy one anywhere near as nice.
    One day, perhaps.........

Congrats on a beautiful sword.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve. You never know when you might find a deal on one out of the wood work at a good price. I had been wanting one for a while then all of a sudden find two with in a little over a week of one another. A dealer offered him $500 before I ran into him, I was able to get the sword for $600 I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming! Thanks, Robert

Robert, you got an amazing deal.

Several years ago, a friend got one like yours from a dealer who did not know his stuff.
    Buddy watched from nearby as the elderly wife of a WWII Vet explained how her
    late husband had found it hidden in a cave towards the end of the war
    and hadbrought it back.

She didn't know much about it, only that she did not want it in the house. Buddy paid
    $200 - a WWII piece- but the blade may be from the late 1600's. The dealer was
    really quite pleased with himself about it though - he had doubled his money
    in less than 5 minutes after the lady left the shop.........!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 11-13-2012 at 03:01 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Robert,
    Your sword is dated "a lucky day in February 1837" or 8th year of Tenpo Period.
    This makes it a Shin-shinto blade.Look forward to seeing the flip side
    Cheers Simon

That is an interesting story Steve, I love a deal. It reminds of similar story of a dealer that evolves a friend of mine and a German helmet at a real good price. Thanks for the information Simon I have both sides of the Nakago in the pictures. Can you read any of the tag? Thanks, Robert

Nice find. You already have the date. It is late and my eyes are tired. I'll get youe name of the smith tomorrow and also some information about him A nice blade made in the Late Edo Period.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast