MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Another Type 98 sword!

Article about: The local gun show was in town this weekend. I went saturday morning and did not find anything. I desided to go back today to see if anything had changed. Everything thing looked about the s

Default Re: Another Type 98 sword!

I failed to mention that Tsugutoshi 1st generation was a student of Suishinshi Masahide, swordsmith of great reknown, who is credited with reviving the fine art of sword forging after the craft had fallen in to great decline for nearly 100 years. Masahide had many famous students. Tsugutoshi would not be one of the top students but is recognized as being a smith of some ability. The school of Masahide was located in Edo, which is today is a part of modern day Tokyo.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

That is very interesting thanks for adding that information. I always like to learn as much as I can. I added another post on the last page about the same time you added this one. Thanks, Robert

Hello Robert,
    Thought you might like some ideas on how you could display your sword and flag.
    My small Japanese collection.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Robert,
    Thought you might like some ideas on how you could display your sword and flag.
    My small Japanese collection.
    Ralph.
    Hi Ralph,

As a newbie here I wasn't aware you had shown that display. Although the link is for Robert I appreciate it too as I have plans to fashion a display case similar in some ways to yours. I think the addition of that sake cup is a nice touch.

Your friend,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Ralph,

As a newbie here I wasn't aware you had shown that display. Although the link is for Robert I appreciate it too as I have plans to fashion a display case similar in some ways to yours. I think the addition of that sake cup is a nice touch.

Your friend,
    Stu
    Thanks Stu!
    As do I.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for sharing Ralph, I love that display. I agree with Stu I would like to come up with a display similar to you. Cheers, Robert

?

As to researching the former owner of the sword, I think that this would be quite difficult. There is no central database that I am aware of that has lists of IJA members.

Tom

Thats too bad I was hoping the owner of the sword owner could be researched like a people do with numbered SS daggers. Thanks for letting me know though.

?

於東大城下加藤綱俊造 = Oite Tōdai-jōka Katō Tsunatoshi tsukuru.
    天保八年二月吉日 = A lucky day in February 1837.

D'ya think this is the same Katō Tsunatoshi, 1st Gen.?

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:

TSUNATOSHI (綱俊), 1st gen., Tenpō (天保, 1830-1844), Musashi – “Katō Hachirō Tsunatoshi kore o tsukuru” (加藤八郎綱俊造之), “Katō Tsunatoshi tsukuru” (加藤綱俊造), “Tōto ni oite Katō Hachirō Tsunatoshi kore o tsukuru” (於東都加藤八郎綱俊造之, “made by Katō Hachirō Tsunatoshi in the eastern capital [= Edo]”), “Ushū Yonezawa-jū Katō Chōunsai Tsunatoshi” (羽州米沢住加藤長運斎綱俊), “Chōunsai Tsunatoshi” (長運斎綱俊), “Chōunsai Tsunatoshi tsukuru” (長運斎綱俊造), “Efu ni oite Katō Chōunsai Tsunatoshi” (於江府 加藤長運斎綱俊, “made by Katō Chōunsai Tsunatoshi in Edo”), real name Katō Hachirō (加藤八郎), he came originally from Dewa´s Yonezawa (米沢) and was like his father Katō Kunihide (国秀) a student of Suishinshi Masahide (水心子正秀), he moved to Edo during the Bunsei era (文政, 1818-1830) where he worked in the residence of the Uesugi family (上杉), the daimyō of Yonezawa, around the first year of Ansei (安政, 1854) he left his gō Chōunsai to his son Koretoshi (是俊) and changed his pseudonym to Chōjusai (長寿斎), he died on the fifth day of the twelfth month Bunkyū three (文久, 1863) in the Uesugi Edo residence at the age of 66, like his brother Tsunahide (綱英) he too hardened a tōran-midare but his best works are in the Bizen tradition, the jigane is a dense ko-itame with ji-nie which tends to muji, the hamon is a ko-chōji-midare or ko-midare in nioi-deki with tight nioiguchi, the bōshi is a smaller midare-komi, the jihada can also be a dense mokume which tends to muji but which also show mixed-in ō-hada, blades are generally rather long, have a deep sori, and a thick kasane, jō-saku

-- Guy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4