Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Any help on this sword please

Article about: Name: MVC-002S.JPG  Views: 0  Size: 20.2 KB  ID: 940243 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Hope this isn't too many photo's. I appreciate any and all information. Thank y

Quote by DaveR View Post
    Or this happened! Photo from Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks by Richard Fuller and Ron Gregory.
    It is very unlikely that a blade could be made to fit an existing military mount. The sori alone would be impossible to calculate due to the quenching in the tempering process.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

This is the very thing I have been discussing with some other collectors, the fitting of hand forged blades to metal saya. Nevertheless it was done with every hand made blade in a standard pat. 94 or 98 metal saya. And the start of this thread is an officers blade in a metal NCO saya. It would be interesting to find out how it was done, and the role of the Honoki lining to the metal saya in aiding this.
    I increasingly suspect very close parameters being laid down by the Military, and some method of tweaking the sori either of blade or saya.

My statement regarding controlling the sori is not second hand information or gun show lore. I received the information directly from several top notch modern Japanese swordsmiths I developed a relationship with. Saya were made to fit the blade, not the reverse.
    BOB

After some thought, this sword was likely found without a scabbard and the missing throat fitting on the NCO scabbard was likely removed to accommodate this blade
    BOB

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    After some thought, this sword was likely found without a scabbard and the missing throat fitting on the NCO scabbard was likely removed to accommodate this blade
    You da man Bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2