Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?

Article about: I just purchased this sword and am awaiting its arrival. Does anyone know anything about the surrender tag glued on the scabbard? Howard Dennis

Default Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?

I just purchased this sword and am awaiting its arrival. Does anyone know anything about the surrender tag glued on the scabbard?

Howard DennisAnyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?

The one on your saya is the type found on swords brought to the local police station for collection by the occupying forces. They usually contain the name and address of the owner, a registration number and in some cases, the owner's information on the blade. This was done in the hope that some time in the future, the sword would be returned. The local police retained a record of the swords they prosessed. U S military vehicles picked up the swords surrendered where they were taken to a facility warehousing them. The tag on your sword appears to be quite faded and missing sections. It is unlikely that much can be made of it at this time.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

It's sideways and needs to be rotated 90ยบ to the right. The form is pre-printed: 1. Weapon; 2. Number of Pieces; 3. Blade Registration; 4. [I can't decypher]; 5. Address & Name; 6. [I can't decypher].

1. "Nippon Tou" [Japanese sword].
    2. "Ichi" [one].
    3. Not filled in.
    4. Not filled in.
    5. I can't read the address or surname; the given name ends with "Taro" [can't tell if it is a three-kanji name or two-kanji name. If two kanji, then "Taro"].
    6. Not filled in.

Hopefully Taka-san or Nick can finish the rest.

--Guy

Hi Howard,

As Guy-san already made most of the translations, i will help fill in rest of them.

Far right:

4. 時價見積額 - Current value Quotation

5. 備考 - Remarks

Left of 5. : I can only make out 大浦村 - Oouramura (a village)

I can read 健太郎 - Kentarou

Hope they help.

Regards,
    Taka

Taka-san, thanks for the great assistance!!!!!

Anytime, Guy-san!

Cheers!
    Taka

Quote by hddennis View Post
    I just purchased this sword and am awaiting its arrival.....
    Hi Howard!

Say, do you have any photos of the blade and tang yet? If not, we'll PATIENTLY [ha!] wait.

Cheers,
    --Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Hi Howard!

Say, do you have any photos of the blade and tang yet? If not, we'll PATIENTLY [ha!] wait.

Cheers,
    --Guy
    Thanks guys, sorry but the only other photos don't show much. I kind of took a chance but owner stated I could return it if not satisfied. Do you think you could translate more if I got better pictures?
    Howard Dennis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?   Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?  

Quote by hddennis View Post
    Thanks guys, sorry but the only other photos don't show much. I kind of took a chance but owner stated I could return it if not satisfied. Do you think you could translate more if I got better pictures?
    Howard Dennis
    here's the only other picture I have. Will definitely get you more and better when I get the sword. Does the valuation and remarks tell anything about the sword?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?  

Once you receive the sword, remove the handle and send us an image of the "tang." If there is any writing engraved, take a photo of the tang and when you post the image, orient it so the point is at the 12 o'clock position, and the butt at the 6 o'clock position.

--Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast