MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?

Article about: I just purchased this sword and am awaiting its arrival. Does anyone know anything about the surrender tag glued on the scabbard? Howard Dennis

Well Guys, my sword arrived today and I couldn't be happier! What a surprise when I drew the blade! Light as a feather and very diminutive compared to what I thought I saw in the pictures. I bought this blade for several reasons, I thought it was older because I thought I saw a deep curvature. It was listed as WWII Officers sword but was clearly in older samurai mounts. To my eye this is a very old tachi blade with an original tang and is signed, I believe "tachi Mei" is that correct? Normally I'd just tear right into this and clean it up but I'm a little afraid of this blade as it may be something special and better handled by an expert. What are your opinions?

Thanks,
    Howard DennisAnyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?

Hello Howard,
    You need to take close up and clear photos of the kanji on the tang and orient them like this.
    You do not need a ruler or anything else. Just clear photos. If necessary, change the angle of the lighting so that the kanji are readable.
    I believe you are on the right track.
    Ralph.
    P.S. Do NOT clean it.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Because of the great age of this tang it's pretty much impossible to capture the kanji in photos.
    Here is a rubbing. Unless the blade has work that pins down the smith I may never know what the kanji say.

Howard DennisAnyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?Anyone know anything about Japanese sword surrender tags?

The kanji says "Nagamitsu." Bizen Nagamitsu was a famous swordsmith from the village of Osafune in Bizen Province. There were four generations of this smith working between the mid to late 13th century to the 14th century. The signature has been widely faked due to the prominence of the 1st generation. This is a blade that should be examined by someone with more than gun show knowledge. I seriously doubt that the signature is genuine but it could still be a blade of some merit worth having the signature removed if fake. If you need a recommendation, I would be happy to help by PM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Good job, Bob! I can't make out any of the kanji from my computer.

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Good job, Bob! I can't make out any of the kanji from my computer.

--Guy
    Being familiar with the signature, it just sort of popped out to me. I also may be imagining it. The nakago is pretty rough.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob Coleman IS right on the money.

Just curious if anyone could make out anymore than the last name on this tag now that I am able to show my own photo of it?

Howard Dennis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2