Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone Know When Late-war IJA Sword Tassel Introduced?

Article about: Title already says it all, ha! I saw a late-war IJA tassel on a gunto dated Dec '43, and got to wondering when the late-war, all brown, tassel was introduced into use. Anyone know?

?

Last ditch really is a catch-all term for anything that is not easily documented. I try not to call any recognised patterns last ditch anymore simply because to me they are late war. Ah, tricky one, trying to figure out what things should or shouldn't be called...

On a side note, I had a low grade gendaito in standard Type 0 mounts. Just reiterating what's been said.

OLD THREAD RESURRECTED

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I wanted to update it for anyone who might come across it in searches.

I have been running a survey of gunto with the all-brown, or "late war", tassel. The earliest dated blade found is 1940. There are several 1942 and later. The date range matches perfectly with Nick Komiya's discovery of an August 1940 Uniform Regulation change that assigns the brown tassel to two rank classes of Gunzoku. Nick's article is here:
    What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?

He states the language used in describing the tassel indicates it is new creation specifically for the Gunzoku, to distinguish them from regular officers using the red/brown or blue/brown tassel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2