Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4

Article about: Hi All, This is Number 4 Sword. At the risk of being boring, I have simply copied the original request and detail from the first thread in order to keep it simple (for me). This sword is ver

Default An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4

Hi All, This is Number 4 Sword. At the risk of being boring, I have simply copied the original request and detail from the first thread in order to keep it simple (for me). This sword is very similar to number 1 but minus the knot. It is a very short sword and one suggestion was that it may have belonged to an aviator? Probably just a little Japanese soldier more likely??? Thank you in advance for any advise given.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

"Hi, Many years ago, I took an interest in Japanese swords as I liked the style and general look of them. Unfortunately, my interest did not get as far as the accademics of the subject so my knowledge is sadly poor. I am now asking for any information that anyone out there my be able to advise me of please. Your opinions and possible valuation would be greatly appreciated. The first item is an Imperial Army mounted sword with a Company Officer's rank knot. The mounts appear to be standard Army pattern."

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4

越州守助廣
    Echizen [no] Kami Sukehiro

Here's the same signature, but much cleaner and clearer -- by a different hand:

--Guy

?

Hi Michael , i struggled with my eyesight on this one as i couldn't expand the photos but i have given it my best shot This Wakizashi has an older blade (from looking at the nakago ) and the inscription is Echizen Kami Sukehiro ( made by Sukehiro in Echizen province ) It looks like it has a gold foil habaki .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Touche Guy LOL !
    REGARDS AL

?

Good link Guy , hey Michael , looks like you are on a winner here $16000 !! Can we see some nice shots of the blade please
    REGARDS AL

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Good link Guy , hey Michael , looks like you are on a winner here $16000 !! Can we see some nice shots of the blade please
    Alan, we do not yet know if it is the same smith ... or if it is gime -- I'm just reading what the kanji says. Additionally, the signature is in a different style.

--Guy

- - ------- - -

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Touche Guy LOL !
    I beat you by one minute!

--Guy

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Alan, we do not yet know if it is the same smith ... or if it is gime -- I'm just reading what the kanji says. Additionally, the signature is in a different style.

--Guy

- - ------- - -

I beat you by one minute!

--Guy

Plus the nakago on Michaels shows more age from the photos and the butt has been cut square , but i would still like to see the blade , i like to keep upbeat about things
    REGARDS AL

Sukehiro was a highly rated swordsmith group working in the mid 17th century. The first two generations were highly rated. There was at least a third man who signed this way in the period . I believe he was a student and not a blood relative. This signature is not that of either of the first two generations. A hands on study of the workmanship would be necessary to validate a later smith or a gimei.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hello Michael,

Looks like an interesting piece you have there. What is the blade length as measured from the notch at the habaki to the tip?

Also, 2/3 sized gunto mounts were made (in much smaller numbers) to be used by pilots and tankers. Is yours such or is it a full sized tsuka on a wakizashi length (roughly 12-24 inches) blade in shortened scabbard?

Regards,
    Stu

Hi Guy, Thank you for your messages and photo. It sounds like an interesting blade, I have always liked it and I like the fact that it is so small. I will take another set of photos tomorrow in daylight and post them for all to see. It would be nice if it is a rarer blade and of some age.

Thank you once again Michael R

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast