Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5

Article about: Hi All, This is sword number 5 which I hope you will considder giving your opinion and comments on. Any information which you care to give will be greatly appreciated. This sword appears to

Default An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5

Hi All, This is sword number 5 which I hope you will considder giving your opinion and comments on. Any information which you care to give will be greatly appreciated. This sword appears to me to be a modern (WWII) manufactured arsenal item and devoid of tang markings. It is unusual, at least to me, in that it has a fullered blade? Your comments, opinions and questions wealcome.
    Thanky and best wishes Michael R

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5

This blade is difficult to appraise from the pictures. The tang would indicate the cutting edge was shortened a couple of inches and is likely an older hand forged blade. The hi or groove was added after the blade was shortened as the location on the blade would be too high if the older hole was the original one. The chip to the point is fairly fatal to the blade as to reshape the point, it is likely the point would loose temper in some areas. The blade does not appear to be of great age but is at least likely 19th century. That is a best guess based on what I can see.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi Bob, Thank you for your appraisal on this sword. I am impressed by your knowledge and logic. The tip of the blade is in fact in tact and only bent as though the sword had been dropped on its tip, not by me I hasten to add. I have not, nor would I try to straighten it out. If you would like more photos I would be happy to oblige. Once again Bob, thank you for your time and help with Number 5.
    Regards and best wishes Michael R

Bob, if you click on the image and expand the photo .... it looks like the point is bent over and not broken. Perhaps polishing could either bring the kissaki back to full or almost full shape? It looks like there is enough of a temper turn-back to save the blade. What do you think? [of course, after Michael wins the Powerball Lotto]

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 5

--Guy

Hi Guy, Well spotted, I should have mentioned the tip when I posted the thread - donkey!! (Me that is not you!!). As for winning the Lotto, I would find it hard to win an argument never mind the b---dy Lotto!!
    Cheers Michael

The point could be heated and pounded back by a trained polisher. Do not try it yourself. There would be no guarantee it would not break. All depends on how hard the tempered area is. There are no further pictures that could help. Only a hands on would tell more. The hi was added for balance to the blade as Guy can attest to. When properly swung, the hi emits a woosh sound.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi again Bob, I'll take your word for the "Woosh" as I have no itention of waving a Japanese sword around!! Knowing me as I do, I would pobably decapitate myselfor my wife. MMM Now theres a thought!! Your advice re the tip has been heeded and under no circumstances shall I try and bend it back. All good advice. Thank you once again and please keep watching these spaces for several more sword to assess.
    Regards and best wishes Michael R
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 03-29-2014 at 10:09 PM.

As Bob says, you can hear a whoosh [tachi-kaze] when the sword is swung; sometimes even from a blade without a groove if the swing is strong enough and the blade angle-of-attack is perfect. The groove is cut not only to lighten the blade's weight, but to improve the balance and structurally strengthen the blade (think of a steel "I" beam). I found this image on a different site, but it shows that structural reinforcement I'm talking about:

source

For heavy combat against hard objects (spears and armor), a blade without groove is an appropriate choice. When fighting "civilian" style (Edo period when armor was seldom worn), a lighter-weight grooved blade could effectively cut through light-weight clothing, flesh and bone.

source

Grooved blades with a flat ground will cut flesh and straw very well but are not that good against bamboo, wood, lacquer, and bone; for those types of targets a blade with shinogi (ridge) and a "hamaguri" clam-shape edge geometry is the better sword to use.

My teacher used to say "different target, different blade. You shouldn't use a vegetable knife to cut a steak bone."

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 03-29-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Hi Guy, Once again, some invaluable information and coroboration of that given by other knowledgeable members. The next time the Martian (Wife) steps out of line, I will ensure that I use the correct blade to chop her heads off. And when the Feds turn up, I can tell them who advised me - you!! Back to reality, Thank you to you and all who have contributed to the Japanese Sword Saga thus far, (Swords 1 to 5).
    Best wishes to you and all Michael R

?

Hi Michael , the guy's have said it all so nothing to add there Nice to see the matching fittings also . Another very nice sword
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast