Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

aquired/inherited type 95- questions

Article about: A friends father collected 'stuff'. He gave me a sword. No saya. lots of reading/research. looks to me its an early type 95. but only a 4 digit # !!! ,(read edge down). 9mm thk tsuba. Fuchi

?

Default aquired/inherited type 95- questions

A friends father collected 'stuff'. He gave me a sword. No saya. lots of reading/research. looks to me its an early type 95. but only a 4 digit # !!! ,(read edge down). 9mm thk tsuba. Fuchi stamped -suya - Tokyo - Kokura - . blade is in OK shape IMHO. comments ? pics ....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture aquired/inherited type 95- questions   aquired/inherited type 95- questions  

aquired/inherited type 95- questions   aquired/inherited type 95- questions  

?

Welcome to the Forum Bills!

It appears that you have the real deal here, nice very early piece made by Suya . It is a pity that you don't have a scabbard for it, as that would increase its value - especially if matching serial numbers. This sword was made within the next 2000 swords immediately following the 1st Pattern Copper Handled Type 95, so it is a VERY early piece.

I would also guess that the handle has been replaced at some point in time, possibly a field replacement, as it is the later pattern handle.

If you want to get a scabbard for it, you could keep a look out on ebay, they occasionally show up and are not too expensive usually.
    Also, could you post a pic of the 'whole' sword from tip to end of handle. The reason i ask is that it would give me a better view of the overall geometry of the blade, as one of your pics gives it an illusion of not being quite straight in line with the brass collar and handle. Is it loose when held? any ratlles etc??
    Ern

"...one of your pics gives it an illusion of not being quite straight in line with the brass collar and handle...."

I was wondering about that -- I noticed it in six of the photographs. There is what appears to be a misaligned blade-to-handle geometry. Perhaps that fact gives weight to your "replaced handle" thesis.

--Guy

?

Default full blade pics & tip repair

Thank You gents! for the reply's & comments ! The seppa & Tsuba are tight. When held with the proper two hand placement, there is very slight play up&down and slight more play side to side. But no rattle. The play is felt at the kashira attachment. When the wire hanger is spread the inserts fall out ! is this correct or are they suppose to connect to each other?
    -Also on the alignment issue- the habaki looks 'tilted' I guess, down at rear. not sure.
    -also Mr. Stegel -was looking for info on alum pattern diff you mentioned on tsuka- what details are different?
    here are pics of full blade & kissaki I had to repair as it was damaged a bit & I like a good point! lol
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture aquired/inherited type 95- questions   aquired/inherited type 95- questions  

?

wow these pics on this site are amazing! hope my pics on the grid cutting mat don't throw you off as I did not align the sword perfectly! & I see I need to do a little more work on the kissaki ! haha

?

Thanks for the extra pics Bills,
    It doesn't look too bad overall, but the up and down play shouldn't be there obviously, nor the side to side.
    The insert through the handle where the wire tassel holder goes, should not fall apart. It is supposed to be a tubular barrel nut of sorts, that is the two halves screw into each other.
    This was the only method of holding the handle on for the 1st pattern copper handled swords, the second screw in the middle of the handle was introduced with the 'new' Aluminium handlles.

The first run of Aluminium handles were an exact copy of the copper handles, they had a 'true'' representation of the ito wrap as it would 'actually' be done. The new mounting screw was causing issues however, as it protruded from the top of the wrap on one side, so a modified Aluminium handle was introduced to solve this. Essentially it consists of two identical halves as far as the ito wrap is concerned, and the middle screw fell in place in-between the two simulated wraps.

Here's some pictures of an early handle---similar to the copper handle. You can follow the wrap from the start of the handle, all the way up to the end, across both sides. Compare it to yours.
    Some 2 or 3 thousand of these handles were produced before being phased out with the modified versions.

aquired/inherited type 95- questionsaquired/inherited type 95- questions

BTW-Nice work on the tip
    Last edited by stegel; 03-18-2015 at 02:32 AM.

?

Hi Ern,

I'm going to suggest that the blade alone has been salvaged from one sword and mated to an entirely different (later) set of fittings.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
    Stu

?

Hi Stu!
    The thought did cross my mind before i replied to this post, and i agree that it is highly probable, that would explain the strange fit of the habiki to the blade. The handle, tsuba and habiki would of most likely come from a different subcontractor to the original Suya blade. The fuchi may have been retained, as Suya is the only manufacturer at this early stage of T-95's.

Although not easily proved, due to the lack of hallmarks etc to identify the subcontractors(component wise), it is worth mentioning and a good pick up Stu.
    Ern

?

Default more pics & thoughts

Ern & Stu, thx & excellent suggestions. So after reading your comments Ern (& thx for the explanation on revised pattern! I now see that would be an issue.)(which could of been the reason for the handle swap OR the entirely different (later) set of fittings.) So I took it all apart ! lol ...but first I carefully used a nut & bolt to secure the rear attachment. That helped the 'slop' slightly. upon diss-assembly I found the wood supports inside tsuka cracked & worn. The back-notch & edge-notch are not in line with each other like on my Wak. The edge-notch is farther back BUT the habaki does have a built in support for it but its a mil+ short so that is what 'tilts' the habaki ! I can fix that ! & repair the wood tsuka parts ! here are the pics...

aquired/inherited type 95- questions  

?

Thanks for the extra pics Bill, from them you can clearly see that the barrel nut/bolt at the end of the handle has broken.
    Do you know any more about the friends dad who collected 'stuff' and where he may have got it from?

The reason i ask is that after having seen the photos you just posted, i'm inclined to re think what i said before...

I now think that all the parts are original to the blade, the wooden liner is marked with what looks like the serial number of the blade. As far as the handle goes it is possible that it was one of the first 'new' modified types issued.

What i think may have happened is that, at one time post war, someone may have tried to remove the handle to see if it was signed and resulted in the broken barrel nut at the end of the handle, no replacement was available and it just got put back together. Handling it over the years may have introduced the sloppiness into the handle/blade as you have noted.
    The barrel nut at the end is i believe the main part of the mounting, with it being broken, the middle screw only acted as a pivot and allowed the blade to travel vertically, possibly causing the damage to the liner.

My new theory! Lol i could be mistaken, but am open to counter theory's as well.
    Any thoughts from others out there??

Also, Bill can you post a close up of the blade under the habiki (like the 6th picture down) but from the opposite side please,
    i think there may be a 'To'stamp there, and another of the possible serial number written on the liner please.
    Last edited by stegel; 03-19-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast