Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Authentic Japanese Sword?

Article about: It is not Chinese buta butchered Japanese blade that is ruined It appears to be the incompetent work of a Westener.

Default Re: Authentic Japanese Sword?

It is not Chinese buta butchered Japanese blade that is ruined It appears to be the incompetent work of a Westener.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    It is not Chinese buta butchered Japanese blade that is ruined It appears to be the incompetent work of a Westener.
    Seriously? Mate this is clearly a stainless steel blade, etched hamon and cheap chinese fittings. Someone obviously used it to cut bottles etc, damaged or broke off the tip and used a grinder to reshape it and give it a new kissaki.

I don't like to tell people they've spent their money on wall hangers but i have to be honest.

Cheers-

D.L

Yes, I am serious and base my judgement backed up by over fourty years of serious japanese sword study. I can tell the difference between Chinese junk and this piece of junk. The blade also appears to have been ground on the edge. regardless, it is worthless as a sword.
    BOB

Im not having a dig at you mate, while i do have allot of knowledge in this aria i do not have 40+ years of knowledge and experience under my belt.

Im curious, what about this sword makes you believe it is Japanese made? Im always happy to learn something new.

Cheers-

Darren.

The overall appearance of the blade appears to be the type of comercial form of blades sold before the war to practice of iato. The fittings are reflecting of the inexpensive type found on these swords. For me, the artificial temper line is indicitive of these type of swords. It has been shortened at both ends which indicates someone no longer wanted this and likely threw it out after reaking it. The damge and rework is not recent and likely done in the 50's.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The overall appearance of the blade appears to be the type of comercial form of blades sold before the war to practice of iato. The fittings are reflecting of the inexpensive type found on these swords. For me, the artificial temper line is indicitive of these type of swords. It has been shortened at both ends which indicates someone no longer wanted this and likely threw it out after reaking it. The damge and rework is not recent and likely done in the 50's.

Id like to agree out of respect but from what ive seen, the style of the blade and type of fittings tells me its machine made, stainless steel, most likely Chinese. Its pretty hard to be 100% sure without holding it in your hands but id bet money on it. Its mostly likely only 5-7 years old. New it would of been worth 60-100 dollars but in this condition...25- 30 dollars at best.

I agree, its been butchered.

Its been interesting discussing this with you Bob, hope we can discuss a more worthy sword next time, no offense to the OP.
    OP, if you own this sword, i wouldn't bother trying to sell it, i would get a wet stone, some wet dry sand paper and clean up the kissaki and edges, maybe buy some new repro fittings and display it. With a little work it would make a nice display piece.

Cheers-

D.L

?

Come on guys , its a replica from japan with an alloy blade. Its not meant to be sharpend. The hole tsuka and same is made of plastic. I owned one of these in early 80's

?

Bob this is the sword I was given back around 1986 at the time you could buy all three sizes .I wanted the large sword but was only given the middle size one. alot of the parts look the same to me . I remember you could buy them in gold copper antiqued . Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentic Japanese Sword?   Authentic Japanese Sword?  

Authentic Japanese Sword?   Authentic Japanese Sword?  

Authentic Japanese Sword?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2