Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle of Mian Island, Sept 1945?

Article about: I bought this flag last weekend and on the back it says: Sgt. E. Price Battle of Mian Island Sept. 1945 Or at least thats what I can make of it. I kind of guessed at the last name, it looks

?

Default Battle of Mian Island, Sept 1945?

I bought this flag last weekend and on the back it says:

Sgt. E. Price
    Battle of Mian
    Island
    Sept. 1945

Or at least thats what I can make of it. I kind of guessed at the last name, it looks like Price. There appears to be something after 'island' but im not sure what it is, the first letter looks like a 'P'.

I cant find any information on a Mian Island, or a battle there in September of '45. And the Japanese surrendered in August of 1945, right? So would there have even been a battle of Mian Island in September?

I would assume that anyone trying to forge something like this would have picked a more famous battle (Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, etc) to put on the back of the flag.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, my knowledge of the Pacific theatre is very limited, and I've come up with very little on the internet so far.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Mian Island, Sept 1945?   Battle of Mian Island, Sept 1945?  

?

Default Re: Battle of Mian Island, Sept 1945?

Hi RDUNE , and welcome to the forum , that is a fantastic yosegaki " good luck " flag and one of the better examples , filled with good luck wishes from friends , relations etc. Congratulations on your buy ! I have looked into the facts written on it and think that it is Wake Island and not Mian as you think it may be , look at it differently and see if the "M" is more of a "W" . The Japanese garrison on the island did not formally surrender and lay down arms until 4th September 1945. Hope this helps ,
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

thats a nice looking souviner although i dont know if its original

Definitely agree with Alan. Just a funky way of writing WAK. Great flag. Jay

?

Thanks Alan, Wake Island definately makes sense. I guess I just wasnt looking at it right.

I'm having sushi for lunch tomorrow, so I might be able to get at least a few characters translated by the sushi chef. I've been on the lookout for one of these flags for a while, I talked this one out of a dealers personal collection.

Hey RDUNE, if you get a chance, let us know what you find out when your sushi guy reads it. It would be interesting to know.
    Thanks, Jay

That piece deserves framing mate... I suggest a nice simple thin edged frame

Glad you have got your answer

I agree with Dan. I have a similar one (shown on the forum) which I need to frame too. I was thinking of going with a Bamboo type frame in keeping with the Far East theme.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by RDUNE View Post
    Thanks Alan, Wake Island definately makes sense. I guess I just wasnt looking at it right.

I'm having sushi for lunch tomorrow, so I might be able to get at least a few characters translated by the sushi chef. I've been on the lookout for one of these flags for a while, I talked this one out of a dealers personal collection.
    You are welcome , i`m glad to help , and if you ever get fed up with it PM me !!
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Well, according to my waitress at the sushi restaurant, the center of the flag says (and Im spelling it phonetically) "Pill Sin" which means either "fierce fighting" or "must win". She was trying to explain it to me, and I'm not sure I completely understood her. She said "fierce fighting" first, then explained it by pointing to the symbols and then said "mean like, must win, (then balled up her fists and made a fierce face) and said "fierce fighting".

So I feel somewhat enlightened and mildly confused at the same time...

There is a professor of Asian Studies/Japanese language at my girlfriends university, I'll have to have her look at the flag and see what she can make of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast