Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buddhist Samurai sword?

Article about: Cool. Thanks y'all.

Default Buddhist Samurai sword?

Hey guys, can anyone identify the sword in this picture? I'd like to at least know what era it is.

Default Re: Buddhist Samurai sword?

What ever it turns out to be I like the look of it my self !! and the blade..
    And Welcome to the forum hope you find your answer.
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I believe Buddhists are pacifists and would not carry weapons ?

It will be interesting to see what the sword
    experts say about it.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Yeah... But the Swastika almost has to have relevance to the Japanese Buddhist beliefs, rather than an affiliation to the Swastika used by the Third Reich. Awesome, though that would be.

?

I think that it is a Chinese manufactured sword ( of relatively recent creation) attempting to be of "Japanese origin". A lot of these kinds of swords are being sold on ebay and some sellers are attemping to actively deceive unwary buyers. The characters on the blade as well as the damascus-steel like swirl patterns on the blade were just not done when making a sword in Japan. Hope this helps.

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post
    I think that it is a Chinese manufactured sword ( of relatively recent creation) attempting to be of "Japanese origin". A lot of these kinds of swords are being sold on ebay and some sellers are attemping to actively deceive unwary buyers. The characters on the blade as well as the damascus-steel like swirl patterns on the blade were just not done when making a sword in Japan. Hope this helps.

Tom
    And this Emblem has no ties to the third Reich IMO either.
    But I still like the blade.

Quote by tomp View Post
    I think that it is a Chinese manufactured sword ( of relatively recent creation) attempting to be of "Japanese origin". A lot of these kinds of swords are being sold on ebay and some sellers are attemping to actively deceive unwary buyers. The characters on the blade as well as the damascus-steel like swirl patterns on the blade were just not done when making a sword in Japan. Hope this helps. Tom
    I was thinking this also. The faux 'alligator' covering
    on the scabbard is a concern.........

Was it a recent purchase ?
    Regards,

Steve.

The symbol is of Hindi origins,Sanskrit means auspiciousness.
    Was also used in china as the symbol for eternity.
    I would feel the sword is modern Chinese.As stated above the blade has a Damascus look about it so would not be from an earlier Chinese period.
    Only a punt.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I was thinking this also. The faux 'alligator' covering
    on the scabbard is a concern.........

Was it a recent purchase ?
    I think it would be snake..??

The sword is extremely crude quality and is definitely not Japanese. During the feudal period in Japan, there were warrior Buddist monks. They were later subdued by the Tokugawa Shogunate.
    There is bouncing around a Japanese Navy sword with swastika menuki wrapped in the handle. The swastika was also a family mon or crest. A very early faker of blades on the East Coast, USA, who made some masterful engraved scabbard S A daggers had the stainless steel engraved with runic symbols and passed it off as a presentation sword to Doenitz. All of these fakes were sold to a collector named Dutch Heilman. Some of the daggers are in the first dagger book put out by Raidl-Leslie in the late 1950's. The original work on the sword and the daggers was done in the mid1950's. I saw this sword at the SOS about six years ago
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast