Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Buddhist Samurai sword?

Article about: Cool. Thanks y'all.

Default Re: Buddhist Samurai sword?

I also consider this sword to be Chinese junk that is trying to be passed off to the unwary as a samurai sword.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

So do you think Bob the blade is acid etched?
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    I think it would be snake..??

Hi, Eric. Snakeskin is rather different - this material does not have
    scales like you find on snakeskin. Also, snakeskin has
    natural camouflage patterns.

Bob, thanks for the clarification re: warrior Buddhist Monks.
    Regards,

Steve.

Bob, You are right and the china junk is endless!!I saw a SA KEPI from china on Egreed and to us it would be laughable.They dont miss a trick those little so and so's and they sell any kind of junk and we had poisoned dog food and lead in the toys that our kids play with.The crap that they sell is really a thorn in all our sides and nobody cares because our friends in hong kong make billions on the junk and of course the power guys here in the USA make theirs to.No one should buy there junk and let them use it for fuel during their winters.Carl

Every cent you spend on Chinese products helps build another communist superpower.Fact.

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    So do you think Bob the blade is acid etched?
    Yes, it is definitely an acid etched blade. Note there is also no hamon or temper line. I once had a true Japanese sword in samurai mounting from the Late Edo period that was made of mixed metals causing an effect like true Damascus steel. However, the quality was not worth keeping.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I also consider this sword to be Chinese junk that is trying to be passed off to the unwary as a samurai sword.
    Well, I am not at all interested in selling the sword. It is simply for decoration. If it turned out to be authentic (unlikely as I realize that to be), I would leave it as is. If fake, I would clean it up.

Either way, is there a reputable dealer one can send something like this off to for an appraisal, and if so, how much does a service like that cost?

Also, I did not purchase this. It was an acquisition from a deceased person's will.

While not familiar with fake Chinese swords, I am very familiar with their fakes in various other fields, such as motorcycle parts, and especially in fake optics, such as Zeiss and Leupold.

?

Quote by Bandido Jojo View Post
    Well, I am not at all interested in selling the sword. It is simply for decoration. If it turned out to be authentic (unlikely as I realize that to be), I would leave it as is. If fake, I would clean it up.

Either way, is there a reputable dealer one can send something like this off to for an appraisal, and if so, how much does a service like that cost?
    There is no point in sending this to any dealer, reputable or otherwise. It is a fake sword, from china. Worth only what someone will pay, and for that would be 20 bucks at most. I would pay this just to destroy it so no others can be fooled.

Regards

Quote by Bandido Jojo View Post

I do not think anyone on this site was suggesting you sell the sword. If you like it as a decorator, it is fine for that. There is no purpose to spend money sending your blade off for an appraisal. It could not be sent to Japan as it would be stopped at customes as it is only considered to be an illegal weapon, not an art sword. My credentials in the study of the Japanese sword include 35+ years of serious study in the USA and Japan, twenty years on the Board of Directors of the Japanese Sword Society USA with 8 of those as the President. If you still want to send this to a dealer, let me know and I can furnish you with a couple of competent USA based individuals.
    BOB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast