Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?

Article about: My late father left this sword to me, he said it was "Shin Gunto " NCO officers sword. My father was aboard the USS Iowa and during his service learned Korean and was asked by the

?

Default Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?

My late father left this sword to me, he said it was "Shin Gunto " NCO officers sword. My father was aboard the USS Iowa and during his service learned Korean and was asked by the navy to translate. He was given this sword by the captain of the USS Iowa for translating captured prisoners brought aboard. Sorry about the poor pictures i'm just learning how to use power shot camera. I've looked for signature,serial # on all parts. Found 1thing that looks like emblem but didn't want too remove tarnish on the sword blade or anywhere else. The sword is in its orignal condition since I inherited it. The blade I was told was not factory made it has no marking as such, serial # or inspector stamp,nor does it have deep blood goves. it does have the 2 cloth (straps) tassles and a wooden iiner casing that goes inside the saya (it has the emblem on it). Is it real or was my father yanking me when I was little?
    Thank for your time
    Darr57
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?   Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?  

Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?   Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?  

Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?   Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?  

?

Default Re: Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?

Hi Darr , from what i can make out from your photos it looks original , but please send in some clear close ups of the blade , tang and the other parts so that the details can be seen , it`s a pity it`s been pulled apart so much .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

You have a Imperial Japanese Army officer's sword. Your pictures are too blurry to see much. clear shot of both sides of the sword tang with the sword vertical and cutting edge at the top will help. Please also take a picture of the point and about six to eight inches of the blade. Taking further pictures of the parts will serve nothing in further identification. If you want, please take a clear picture of the handle as it appears to not have the standard kiku menuki under the wrap.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    You have a Imperial Japanese Army officer's sword. Your pictures are too blurry to see much. clear shot of both sides of the sword tang with the sword vertical and cutting edge at the top will help. Please also take a picture of the point and about six to eight inches of the blade. Taking further pictures of the parts will serve nothing in further identification. If you want, please take a clear picture of the handle as it appears to not have the standard kiku menuki under the wrap.
    Bob, I had told my younger brother not to take it apart but he did not listen. I just reassembled it, I'll get some better pictures for today, I'm learning my new camera.Should be up by end of today, thank you so much for your time and help.
    Darr57

Remember that I need pictures of both sides of the blade tang so you will have to take it apart again.
    BOB

But please don't take the scabbard apart again, this will only cause more damage to it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Bob, I'm quite new at posting ,downloading pictures,etc, on computers but here goes nothing..I took some pictures hope there what you'll need to identify my late fathers sword. They did a feature story about him and the Iowa shelling of the east cost of Korea, and the wounded ROK soldier brought aboard.
    The feature story was dated April 21,1952 on Paul D. Wallace from Haysi Virginia.
    Wallace Feature U.S.S IOWA (BB-61) c/o Fleet Post office San Francisco Calif. Tom Cousins JO3
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?   Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?  

Can anyone tell me about this Japanese sword ?  

Your pictures are still not very sharp. It appears that the blade is out of polish and the temper line is difficult to see. The tang appears to have some age patina and is likely a mass produced 19th century blade. I could tell more with a crisp picture. The rest of your mount is standard mid war IJA mounting. The age of the blade is just a guess as I can not tell if the tang is rusted or gained some rust patina. If the area just above the habaki, which is the collar between the cutting edge and the tang is dull for about one inch, it is a war period blade. Do not attempt to clean the tang. It will only further damage the blade.
    BOB

?

Default Re: Can anyone tell me about Symbol on Wooden Scabbared

Okay still working on better pictures for you, can you tell me what the symbol means that's painted on the wooden scabbard?
    Thank you very much have a great day
    darr57

Last edited by darr57; 02-13-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Blade information