Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet

Article about: I'm not really sure how it started but I have a fondness for Japanese Civil Defense helmets.Perhaps it is the many variations there are.One variation is a cast aluminum version.Most Civil De

Here is an example of a rejected M-35 combat helmet that has been "Beaded" too prevent being sold as first quality.It has been fitted with a very thin poor quality liner and a transparent plastic chin strap. Typical quality for most Civil Defense fare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet  

?

Nice looking helmet Map! and thanks for the extra info. I hope you get a chance and post some more nicer pics of it.
    I have to ask Geoff, does your missus mind you using her wine/champagne glasses as helmet stands??? Lol
    Cheers
    Ern

BTW- i've never seen a 2nd class helmet before, very interesting stuff!

MAP
    ?

Quote by stegel View Post
    Nice looking helmet Map! and thanks for the extra info. I hope you get a chance and post some more nicer pics of it.
    I have to ask Geoff, does your missus mind you using her wine/champagne glasses as helmet stands??? Lol
    Cheers
    Ern

BTW- i've never seen a 2nd class helmet before, very interesting stuff!
    wine glasses are great for displaying helmets. A number of guys here use them. I use paper towel holders lol!

If the weather is ok today I'll post more but looks like rain
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Are you sure these lids are "cast" aluminium?...

Hey Gunny,They are definitely cast it is difficult to see in the pics but in hand you can see the flash(Where the molten metal seeped between the separate pieces of the mold) running around the perimeter of the helmet just above the flare on the bottom inside the helmet.There is also a round area on the top center where a grinder was used to smooth out the flash from the opening of the mold where the metal was poured in.There is also evidence of lots of "Trash" in the material perhaps slag or the molds were not cleaned properly between pours.As far as the material itself I am not 100% sure of the make up but it definitely looks like aluminum and is non magnetic but the only other material that comes to mind is "Pot Metal" of some type. In this first photo you can see the casting seam.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet  

Next is the glob of material that appears to be knocked down a bit with a grinder.

Here is a spot that looks like some trash in the mold.

Almost as cratered as the surface of the moon on this area.

Finally, The edges of the helmet are poorly ground to knock of the edges. LOL Earn,I like to use wine glasses because they are not as distracting from the helmets as those Creepy Styrofoam heads! Trust me my wife likes me using them for headgear as opposed to the other!

?

It appears that the top of mine was turned down with a lathe?? see the circular marks and how the very top has broken through to leave a small hole.

You can see it from the inside, here it looks like it may have been a porous bubble after casting perhaps?

I tried to see the inner 'ringed' markings like on yours, but the liner seems to cover it, perhaps it is intended to be the guide mark for production purposes, like when fitting liners on the assembly line?

I tried to show what looks like some oxidation of the surface here...

And finally, two shots of the rim and some casting marks.

I also weighed the helmet with liner, fairly light at 0.75Kg, not even 2lb's . (It is about 1.5 lbs)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast