Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet

Article about: I'm not really sure how it started but I have a fondness for Japanese Civil Defense helmets.Perhaps it is the many variations there are.One variation is a cast aluminum version.Most Civil De

MAP
    ?

Ok, here are better pictures of my steel CD helmet. Order is backwards

Cast Aluminum Civil Defense HelmetCast Aluminum Civil Defense HelmetCast Aluminum Civil Defense HelmetCast Aluminum Civil Defense HelmetCast Aluminum Civil Defense HelmetCast Aluminum Civil Defense HelmetCast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Sorry for doubting you Geoff, i just reasoned that cast alloy was about as much use as putting a cardboard box on your head!..

Now worries Gunny! Until about a year ago I didn't know they even existed. I guess they were better than a soft cap when burning boards were dropping around.There are many different versions of civil helmets.As I understand it the Civil organizations were not regulated the way the military was so there were all kinds of helmets available for volunteers and private purchase. Regards,Geoff

Thank you all for your contributions! Here a few more pics of another version of this helmet.I suspect it is of earlier production than the first helmet I posted as the liner is of better material and has a tag. I am hoping one of our talented friends will be able to help with translation! Just as Army and Navy emblems can be added to combat helmets,emblems can be added to CD helmets as well.I am not sure if this emblem was added post war,but the attachment appears to have been with the helmet for a long time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet   Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet  

A shot of the better quality liner rivet and the sloppy pouring residue on top of the helmet.Not much finishing done here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet   Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet  

Attachment method of the emblem on the helmet.A small piece of leather,and a shot of the liner.There is a blurred kanji character on one of the liner straps that looks like Dai (Large) but I cant make it out.

Close up of Kanji and small metal tag.

Hello All,I was just wondering if any of our excellent translators would mind taking a stab at the kanji on the last helmet and liner I posted The little round tag on the liner is an interesting feature But I cannot decipher it.Regards,Geoff

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    Hello All,I was just wondering if any of our excellent translators would mind taking a stab at the kanji on the last helmet and liner I posted The little round tag on the liner is an interesting feature But I cannot decipher it.Regards,Geoff
    Hi Geoff,

柳町二四
    Yanagichō 24

永瀬
    Nagase
    [surname]

電小石川三三二四

Den[wa] Koishigawa 3324
    Tel. Koishigawa 3324

--Guy

By the way, I cannot find an example of the sakura badge, but the kanji is:

jin; hiro; tazuneru