Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Censored (?) Japanese Military Photographs

Article about: I have a couple of photos that I believe belonged to the same soldier. I think that the soldier in the portrait appears bottom row, second from the left in the group shot, but am not positiv

?

Default Censored (?) Japanese Military Photographs

I have a couple of photos that I believe belonged to the same soldier. I think that the soldier in the portrait appears bottom row, second from the left in the group shot, but am not positive. The portrait photo is dated Nov. 1943 and the group photo, Feb. 2, 1944. Are the stamps on the reverse from a censor? Looking closely at the group shop, it appears that a tall pole or tower has been censored out and the unit (?) badges of the soldiers have been intentionally obscured. Also, I am curious if the castle (?) in background and the park/garden can be identified? Could it be the Imperial Palace in Tokyo? Any information and comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Censored (?) Japanese Military Photographs   Censored (?) Japanese Military Photographs  

Censored (?) Japanese Military Photographs  
    Attached Images Attached Images Censored (?) Japanese Military Photographs  Censored (?) Japanese Military Photographs 

The castle appears to be Himeji Castle, judging by the Keep, but the photographer must have used a wide-angle lense to get the building in the photo, because it appears vertically stretched out of shape. The partial stamp says 虎林憲 most likely followed by 兵分隊, which cannot be seen, indicating a MP station in Hulin China. The partial stamp also shows the word 検 meaning to check, so probably a censor stamp as you assumed. The signage on the ground only says "no trespassing".

?

Thank you for the information Nick. I appreciate it!

Tom