Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

China Incident Medal

Article about: Just picked this up thought I would show to bad the ribbon is gone Japanese China incident. The "yata-no-karasu" a mythical giant crow, under the Cysanthemum and flanked by two Ris

Default China Incident Medal

Just picked this up thought I would show to bad the ribbon is gone Japanese China incident.
    The "yata-no-karasu" a mythical giant crow, under the Cysanthemum and flanked by two Rising Sun flags I like the detail on it.

Eric
    China Incident MedalChina Incident Medal
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Default Re: China Incident Medal

By the way I got this for 15$ love the Mum on it.

Eric

?

Eric these are called a Shi-na-ji-hen or as you stated (China Incident ) medal there are two variations of this medal that were issued the first was issued for the Manchurian incident 1931-1934 .The second one focuses on the later phase of the Japanese Campaign against the rest of China 1937-1945 The second variation is a very common Japanese service medal the earlier issued one is a lot rarer as the Manchurian Incident was a more localized action so there were far fewer of them that were issued unfortunatley they are not dated but there are subtle diffrences between the two in the artwork on the mountain side of the medal . As far as I know it is the only way to tell them apart here are a few photos of mine for comparison. By the way yours looks to be a nice Original medal as far as I can tell from all the examples I have looked at.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture China Incident Medal   China Incident Medal  

China Incident Medal   China Incident Medal  

Nice 'War Merit Medal' ribbon on there, Mark.........!

I also recently bought one of these China
    Incident medals with it's ribbon. ( $22 )

When it gets in I'll post a photo.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Eric these are called a Shi-na-ji-hen or as you stated (China Incident ) medal there are two variations of this medal that were issued the first was issued for the Manchurian incident 1931-1934 .The second one focuses on the later phase of the Japanese Campaign against the rest of China 1937-1945 The second variation is a very common Japanese service medal the earlier issued one is a lot rarer as the Manchurian Incident was a more localized action so there were far fewer of them that were issued unfortunatley they are not dated but there are subtle diffrences between the two in the artwork on the mountain side of the medal . As far as I know it is the only way to tell them apart here are a few photos of mine for comparison. By the way yours looks to be a nice Original medal as far as I can tell from all the examples I have looked at.

Regards Mark K
    Thanks Mark I have found some more info too This medal commemorates the renewed Japanese intervention in China from 1937 to 1945. This undeclared war (know as "incident" by the Japanese) did not end until Japanese surrender in 1945.

Imperial Edict No. 496 of 27 July 1939 established this award for all personnel who departed for China, so it is a very common medal. It is of 30 mm. bronze (sometimes pure matt finish or gilt finish), with the same suspender as the previous 193-34 incident war medal. The observe shows the mythical giant red crow "yata-no-karasu" but depicted with two legs instead of the three that the mythical bird really had. Army and a Navy flags surround the bird. Above it there is the usual chrysanthemum crest. Reverse shows a sea and some mountains with four seal characters.

Ribbon is 37 mm. watered silk of 3 mm. blue, 3 mm. light blue, 7,5 mm. tan, 3,5 mm. dark pink and 2 mm. bright read. The colours are meant for the Navy, the Air Force, the Army, the blood-stained soil of China and loyalty.

Eric

?

I have been told that my version is of the later issue 1937 -1945 and after comparing yours and mine I see know diffrences and the ribbon was on the medal when I purchased it from a dealer Steve so I just let it be thought it looked naked with out one .

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    I have been told that my version is of the later issue 1937 -1945 and after comparing yours and mine I see no diffrences. The ribbon was on the medal when I purchased it from a dealer Steve, so I just let it be - thought it looked naked with out one. Regards Mark K
    Know what you mean! Right now on ebay is a Prussian medal I used to own.
    I know it was mine because of the incorrect ribbon I put on it - a late
    1800's Khedive's Sudan Medal ribbon:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=260879421321
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 10-29-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Do you know if yours was the 1931-1934 Manchurian action medal or the second China incident medal Steve please post yours with the ribbon so that we may see it .

Regards Mark K

It is the common/later one. It looks exactly the same as the two above.

These 'China Incident' medals are similar, but the earlier one
    has no flags on the front and also has two helmets
    on the reverse.........

1st type:
    Nambu World: Manchurian Campaign/Early China Incident Medal

2nd type:
    Nambu World: China Incident Medal
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 10-30-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast