Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Collecting Japanese items, need advice

Article about: Hi guys, as some of you know, I used to be quite active on this forum but highschool has been very busy for me. I loved anything german back in the day but I want to start collecting Japanes

?

Default Collecting Japanese items, need advice

Hi guys, as some of you know, I used to be quite active on this forum but highschool has been very busy for me. I loved anything german back in the day but I want to start collecting Japanese items. It would be great if you could link websites that are good sources for authentic Japanese militaria. Also, any tips on the subject would be great! I noticed how cheap japanese stuff is compared to german items, especially tunics. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Its good to be back.

MAP
    ?

I get all of my Japanese items through my local guy and occasionally at shows. So not aware of any website that specializes in this field. However most of the big sites do have Japanese items. Just depends what your looking for.

There is one book I've seen that might have some promise but I haven't had a chance to ask anyone.

Heitai: Uniforms, Equipment and Personal Items of the Japanese Soldier, 1937-1945 by Agustin Saiz

Heitai: Uniforms, Equipment and Personal Items of the Japanese Soldier, 1937-1945 by Agustin Saiz | 9788496658318 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

So if anyone knows if this is a good book. Let us know.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I hesitate to mention it, but the much-dreaded eBay can be a good source for Japanese things, as many sellers have no idea what they have. As always, post here 1st until you get the feel of it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Dont worry wagriff, I dont buy from ebay anymore, its funny how I got a good deal on a m42 there for my first ever helmet. I lucked out big time. I was primarily looking for a japanese personal flag, and or a khaki tunic with insignia.

I agree with wagriff. Once you get your feet wet in the japanses realm or ask for oversight on here, ebay can actually a rather good source. since I don't speak or even know how to read japanse and there are no easy translation programs for it that I have seen. it made me go slow really take a good long detailed look when purchasing items Japanese items.

Before buying any Japanese militaria on Ebay, read this thread:
    Ebay Fraudster Warning
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Rod
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I get all of my Japanese items through my local guy and occasionally at shows. So not aware of any website that specializes in this field. However most of the big sites do have Japanese items. Just depends what your looking for.

There is one book I've seen that might have some promise but I haven't had a chance to ask anyone.

Heitai: Uniforms, Equipment and Personal Items of the Japanese Soldier, 1937-1945 by Agustin Saiz

Heitai: Uniforms, Equipment and Personal Items of the Japanese Soldier, 1937-1945 by Agustin Saiz | 9788496658318 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

So if anyone knows if this is a good book. Let us know.

Michael
    That book is exactly what you need, also the Mike Hewitt book 'Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in WW 2' and the Nakata book.

Especially be aware that war time civilian clothing and accessories look a lot like the military stuff. It's easy to be tricked, often sellers don't have a clue but assume a lot for the sake of a buck. "Fresh from a vet's estate" is one of the most abused tag lines in the hobby. Who cares where it's from? Lotsa 'Bubba the artist' stuff around too. These are some of the best ways to get screwed I can think of just now.

Rod

?

Thanks for the help guys! I know eBay is bad for german stuff but I guess it's a bit different with Japanese stuff.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rod View Post
    That book is exactly what you need, also the Mike Hewitt book 'Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in WW 2' and the Nakata book.

Especially be aware that war time civilian clothing and accessories look a lot like the military stuff. It's easy to be tricked, often sellers don't have a clue but assume a lot for the sake of a buck. "Fresh from a vet's estate" is one of the most abused tag lines in the hobby. Who cares where it's from? Lotsa 'Bubba the artist' stuff around too. These are some of the best ways to get screwed I can think of just now.

Rod
    Thanks Rod. Lots of discussion on this forum regarding reference books for TR items. But little on Japanese. So this recommendation is helpful.

I think I may have the Hewitt book buried somewhere.....

I will pick up the Heitai book.

Thanks again.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rod
    ?

You'll love the 'Hetai' book Michael, it's a great compliment to Mike Hewitt's with lots and lots of stuff shown in detail. That link seems good, the price the seller is asking is very reasonable.

Best, Rod