Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Commemorative Vessel

Article about: Hello all,I finally was able to work out a deal on a couple of pieces I have been trying to obtain for a couple of years now, and finally my persistence paid off! one of the Items is a small

Default Commemorative Vessel

Hello all,I finally was able to work out a deal on a couple of pieces I have been trying to obtain for a couple of years now, and finally my persistence paid off! one of the Items is a small commemorative item that came in a wooden box. If anyone has any Ideas on what specifically it was made for I would appreciate the help as I have never seen one of these before.I am assuming the star above the kanji indicates Army but I am not sure..I just thought it was a very unique piece.Thanks in advance,Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Commemorative  Vessel   Commemorative  Vessel  

Commemorative  Vessel   Commemorative  Vessel  

I'm fairly confident it is "Short-Term Service Memento" vase (and verrrry nice, too!) The first kanji gave me problems, but I finally solved the mystery.
    短現記念
    Tangen Kinen

.... I couldn't get a good search result with 短現 -- kept getting "short current". After a while digging around, I found 短現 is a contraction of:
    短期現役
    Tanki Gen'eki
    Short-term Active Duty Service.

I found the full phrase describing officers:
    短期現役士官
    Tanki Gen'eki Shikan.

Although this bit below is about the IJN, the star on your vase identifies it as Army. Sorry for not polishing up the computer translation:
    ==========
    The short-term active duty officer Tanki Gen'eki Shikan (phonetic spelling), the Imperial Japanese Navy that the officer was adopted only the active duty period to two years in a special case to target the old system university graduates and the like, two years active duty in the more formal called officer (2 Nengen'eki Shikan). How is called short-term active duty (short current) is a colloquial term, originally refers to the short-term active duty soldiers that target the normal school graduates in the special case of the conscription system [1]. System of two years active duty officer is provided for the officer equivalent officer is a department other than the corps and organizations department of the Naval officer, there is such as surgeon Department and dental medical and drug department, technology department, the Budget Department, Legal Department, in particular the first It is known to short-term active duty accountant Department officer of the world War II period.

Japanese Language Source
    ==========

--Guy

Thank you Guy! This is interesting in that the individual was given a limited term..If I understand correctly,Because of his career studies. Is there any information on the intended use of this vessel? Incense,Flowers,Sake?? Regards,Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It would be for flowers.

Ikenobo school scroll

--Guy

Wow, sugoï desu ne! Never saw one like this in my rather short experience of japanese militaria goodies, very nice ceramic, thank you for sharing Geoff and Guy for RT (research and translation) work . How small is it?

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

The piece stands approximately 4 3/4" inches tall.Small in stature but very pleasant to look at.Regards,Geoff

Thank you, I asked to compare with the average size of the commemorative sake botte which are more familiar to me. This one is smaller but more complex in design so definitly more impressive.

Size don't matter, only the craftmanship ... That's what she said!

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

I was wondering... was an item such as this given at the end of the required service or as a token of welcome? Thanks,Geoff