Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cool WW2 Postcard

Article about: This one is titled "Japanese Sword". It is at a Japanese online auction that I have no interest in bidding on. Auction.Yahoo.Co.Jp But, the post card is SWEET! 「日

Default Cool WW2 Postcard

This one is titled "Japanese Sword". It is at a Japanese online auction that I have no interest in bidding on.
    Auction.Yahoo.Co.Jp

But, the post card is SWEET!

「日本刀」
    Nippon-Tō

I couldn't copy it off the auction site, so I did a screen save then enlarged the print ... a bit fuzzy, but you can reduce the image if you want to.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cool WW2 Postcard   Cool WW2 Postcard  

I Googled his name and here are the image results.

This one is also named "Nippon-To" and the note says it is the second one, the first being a postcard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cool WW2 Postcard  

Default 国之楯

THIS one!!! Wow! Impressive.

Oh, the artist's name is 小早川秋聲 Kohayakawa [small-fast-river] Shūsei.

This piece is titled
    国之楯
    Kuniyuki Tate [so the electronic translators say]
    To me, it looks like "Kuni no Tate" [Shield of the Nation]

A GoogleTranslation states the painting was commissioned by the War Department in 1944, but rejected with no reason given. Painted in S.19, it was originally titled 軍神 "War God", then 大君の御楯 [The Emperor's Honorable Shield]; the title was changed in 1968 to "The Nation's Shield."

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cool WW2 Postcard  

What an incredibly moving and evocative piece of artwork.I think I understand why it was rejected... Perhaps it hit home too hard.. By chance does anyone know if it is available in a quality print? Regards,Geoff

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    What an incredibly moving and evocative piece of artwork.I think I understand why it was rejected... Perhaps it hit home too hard.. By chance does anyone know if it is available in a quality print? Regards,Geoff
    I just emailed the museum to ask if they sell posters or prints of this evocative painting. Will let you know their answer.

--Guy

Thanks Guy,regardless of the outcome I appreciate the effort! G.