Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

copper handle type 95 nco sword

Article about: I bought this at a pawn shop. it is an original copper handle but the ser.# is in the low 9000's the scabbard match ser # but is not the brass plug type. the handle is tight. I want to pull

Default copper handle type 95 nco sword

copper handle type 95 nco swordcopper handle type 95 nco swordcopper handle type 95 nco swordcopper handle type 95 nco swordcopper handle type 95 nco swordcopper handle type 95 nco swordcopper handle type 95 nco swordcopper handle type 95 nco sword I bought this at a pawn shop. it is an original copper handle but the ser.# is in the low 9000's the scabbard match ser # but is not the brass plug type. the handle is tight. I want to pull the handle to see if there are one or two holes in the tang but it is real tight and I am afraid the wood my come apart. could this be an arsenal repair or a field repair?? I paid a lot 400 out the door. I have all the type 95's except the copper handle because I don't have 2000 to put out for one. this is as close as I can get I guess.

?

Hi Robert,
    Interesting piece you have here! It prompted me to offer my opinion for what it's worth.
    Firstly thanks for sharing it with us all, as i'm sure you will get feedback from a lot of people here and some good discussion on it.

I believe that if you succeed in removing the handle, you will find that the blade will have 2 holes in the tang.
    The serial number which matches the blade, is well into the range used by the Aluminium handle production run by some 3000 odd blades or so, and these would have been made to suit the Aluminium handle with the extra mounting screw.
    May i ask, what is the number? as it is partially obscured in your photo.

Observing your photos i can see that the Guard (Tsuba) appears to be the thicker type (11mm) if my eyes are right, and this is correct for the handle.

As your question suggests, i guess it is possible that this combination of sword parts is a field/arsenal repair.
    If this were the case, i would lean to a hurried field blade & scabbard replacement, which could explain why the extra mounting screw was not fitted. I would assume that an Arsenal refit would have addressed this and fitted the extra screw as per the requirements of the new Al handle (as i have seen previously), but i could be wrong.

What i suspect is more likely here, is that this has been a recent modification, done for any number of reasons.
    Do not forget that Copper handles have been available on ebay in the past.
    So someone may have added it to increase the value in the event of a resale or to replace a broken handle(some people don't find battlefield damage appealing in a collection) and so on. I have come across this before and can give examples.
    However, the price you paid for it is on the bargain end of the scale, and it is still a nice piece to have in a collection

Hope this helps you out some with food for thought and gets a discussion going to get more opinions and ideas.
    Ern

?

You need to take of the sarute ( tassel loop) then theres the screw with the hole. Unscrew it and vola ,it comes apart ,unless someone messed with.
    I think its post-war put together.

?

Hi Robert,
    I believe that your sword has been modified just recently.
    It was sold on the 28th of April, but had an Aluminium handle fitted then. The scabbard had what appeared to be a bullet hole half way down it's length. The serial number is 9344. (see photo for similarities in blade markings)
    If you bought it with the copper handle, i would look at getting my money back.
    PM me if you need more info
    Ern
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture copper handle type 95 nco sword   copper handle type 95 nco sword  

copper handle type 95 nco sword   copper handle type 95 nco sword  

?

No need to EVER take a handle off an NCO sword as blades are ALWAYS factory machine made. Don't know as much as other sword collectors but scabbard is not type found on early copper handle NCO swords. The scabbard drag/ bottom is completely different. Perhaps it's just a typical NCO sword that has lost it's paint on handle?

?

Theres no mekugi on copper handle swords. Its mounted with the screw on kabutogana.
    Takeing of the handle shows if tang got 2 or 1 mekugiana.

?

Gunto when it comes to swords I defer to your knowledge. Thanks for teaching me/ us this important feature

?

I think I need to clarify, the sword at the top of the thread is the EXACT SAME sword as the one lower down. The handle has been swapped over and possibly the scabbard also.
    The point being, Robert has asked for an opinion on what he bought, ie copper handled, however it was sold just weeks before with an Aluminium handle as pictured in the second lot of pictures.

?

Serial numbers are in aluminium handle range