Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Correct method of attaching rank insignia?

Article about: Greetings all, I just wanted to check the correct method of attaching enlisted collar insignia It would appear that these were attached mainly in two ways; with a backing cloth and without o

Default Correct method of attaching rank insignia?

Greetings all,

I just wanted to check the correct method of attaching enlisted collar insignia
    It would appear that these were attached mainly in two ways; with a backing cloth and without one (using red thread). The imperial stars always facing down the collar.
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Correct method of attaching rank insignia?   Correct method of attaching rank insignia?  

Rod
    ?

Hi Chris,

It looks like your collar tabs were cut from a roll as they seem a bit long. I've just measured a 1st class tab and it's 1 1/2" in length, similar material to yours but there's a thin hard backing that it's glued to (with the stars centered).

For the most part period applied collar tabs seem to be tacked on, at the corners of course but some stitching in between. If they appear to be carefully sewn I'd think it's post war work. For alignment check period photographs, although yours seem pretty well placed in your pics. Hope that helps.

Best, Rod

Very interesting, thanks for the info Rod! Cheers

?

The very last, late pattern tabs are bevo, machine woven & are mounted on wool backs. As mentioned above, the preferred way to find tabs attached are with near invisible tack stitches in corners. Tabs attached with large, loopy threads are good indicators of post war attachment. Especially if red thread was used! Also another very bad sign is if tunic with insignia is mint, with no wear & the interior stamp/ tag is blank without handwritten owners