Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Crew gunto?

Article about: Dear collectors, Annoyed from this ads?   I wish to submit to your attention my wakizashi in "army dressing" (gunto koshirae). The blade is 57,5 cm long, and the overall lengh

Default Crew gunto?

Dear collectors,
    I wish to submit to your attention my wakizashi in "army dressing" (gunto koshirae).
    The blade is 57,5 cm long, and the overall lenght (folded) is 90 cm.
    The nakago, as you can see, is mu mei; I've been told the blade itself could be a traditional forged one, made around the end of 19th/beginning of 20th century.
    Judging by the lenght and the "combat" fittings, could it be a crew gunto?
    Any comment will be very appreciated.

TIA.

Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?

Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crew gunto?   Crew gunto?  

Very nice, I like it!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

It could be but keep in mind the Japanese were very short people in that era so an Officer with a wakizashi would not be unusual. The only one look "crew" gunto that I currently believe in are those with the similarly downsized Type 98 fittings with metal saya.

Regardless, you have a very nice sword.

Regards,
    Stu

A nice clean blade. From your pictures, it is impossible to determine whether this is a hand forged or fctory made blade. Sword making in Japan was prohibited after 1871 until the early 20th century so the information you received as to age is incorrect. The crispness of the file marks on the tang and lack of patination would lead one to believe this is pre-war or made during the Pacific campaign.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob, I have some other pics of the blade. No arsenal/inspection stamp on the tang:
    actually, the sword is devoided of any markings.
    To be more correct, I've been told it should be a very late Edo/early Showa manifacture.

Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Bob, I have some other pics of the blade. No arsenal/inspection stamp on the tang:
    actually, the sword is devoided of any markings.
    To be more correct, I've been told it should be a very late Edo/early Showa manifacture.

Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?Crew gunto?
    Swords made in Showa do not necessarily have some form of Showa marking. Unlike other militaria, accurate judgement can not always be made from photographs alone. From what I can see in your pictures, there is no reason to change my initial thoughts on your blade. There are many levels of knowlege in Japanese swords making the opinion of others not always correct. The most accurate way to determine the age of your blade is to submit the blade to shinsa with the NBTHK in Japan.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Ok, thanks for your opinion and suggestion