MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Did officers swords have a blood groove?

Article about: I am looking to buy my 1st ww2 Japanese sword and and seen one advertised as an officers sword it has the correct scabbard, handle and tsuba as an officers sword but the blade has a blood gr

Default Re: Did officers swords have a blood groove?

I was refering to the fact that I had not seen a katana with a blood groove,And I have seen a few Japanese swords in my time.
    Last edited by Alan M; 01-08-2015 at 02:32 PM.

I actually have an officer's sword that has a blood groove but I am trying to identify the maker. here is a link to the picture I posted of it. Please someone help me. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7093601AANBRUD

MAP
    ?

Senate43

It will help if you post the pictures directly on the forum.

Here are two links that will help if you have questions on posting pictures.

Please don't use picture hosting from other picture hosting sites for the forum

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japan...uncements.html

You will get more help than by just posting a link. I for one tend not to click on links of unknown origins.

You should also create a brand new thread (and reference the discussion made here).

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

If you get us a clear focus photo of that kanji and post it in a new thread of your own it will probably be translated for you within 24 hours.

Regards,
    Stu

Thank you!

Regarding the "blood groove" -- Stu correctly states that the groove is to help balance the blade. The double concave acts as an "I" beam -- allows flexibility [warp/bend then return to true] as well as lightens the blade.

Grooved blade cross-section:

I-beam for comparison:

--Guy

Default Yellow Flag!

OI!!!

I was refering to the fact that I had not seen a katana with a blood groove,And I have seen a few Japanese swords in my time.

There, I fixed that for you.

Quote by senate43 View Post
    I actually have an officer's sword that has a blood groove but I am trying to identify the maker. here is a link to the picture I posted of it. Please someone help me. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7093601AANBRUD

関住吉田兼門

Seki-jū Yoshida Kanekado

--Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images Did officers swords have a blood groove? 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2