Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does this Tojo Flag look okay to you?

Article about: So, there you have it. On the Surface,, it Looks okey, but when a person that can Read the Kanji takes a deeper look at it, then it's rapidly becoming apparent that this one is . What sinks

Default Does this Tojo Flag look okay to you?

I've become mildly familiar with Third Reich militaria, but I know nothing about the Japanese part of the axis. I was considering picking up a Tojo flag and this one came up on my radar, though it looks nothing like any of the flags I've seen before. The characters are arranged in an unusual fashion. I've done a little research, but I'm running out of time on the chance to pick this up.

I'm not seeing anything immediately bad on it. Looks fine to me-proper construction and materials. Why are you naming it a "Tojo Flag"?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Looks pretty good to me. These flags were often signed by the family, hence why the characters look diffrent on most of them. In addition, these were all privately purchased by the soldier, meaning there isn't one spicific maker of flags.

You've photographed the back-side of the flag -- I have to flip the image in order to read it.

Wagriff: it's a "Tojo Flag" because it is not a bona fide "yosegaki" flag. I'm no expert, but I'd say (1) it is not a "Seabee" special (in that it is not a painted meatball), and (2) it was probably written on after 1945. It is dated Showa 19 (1944).

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    You've photographed the back-side of the flag -- I have to flip the image in order to read it.

Wagriff: it's a "Tojo Flag" because it is not a bona fide "yosegaki" flag. I'm no expert, but I'd say (1) it is not a "Seabee" special (in that it is not a painted meatball), and (2) it was probably written on after 1945. It is dated Showa 19 (1944).

--Guy
    I apologize about the images being reversed. I didn't take them, not that it would have helped as I'm unfamiliar with these characters.

What leads you to believe it was written on after 1945?

The red stamped Japanese soldier in the lower left corner is a new one on me....very odd, and something I've never seen on a good Hinomaru prayer flag. Its possible I haven't handled enough.

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    The red stamped Japanese soldier in the lower left corner is a new one on me....very odd, and something I've never seen on a good Hinomaru prayer flag. Its possible I haven't handled enough.
    Same here, though I didn't think much of it as I'm extremely new to these flags and have much to learn.

Quote by Dual Headed Eagle View Post

What leads you to believe it was written on after 1945?
    Again, I'm not an expert by any means, and I'll be happy to be corrected by a long-time collector. This flag has the same "feel" as the other "Tojo Flags" we've seen here. Though the kanji is written by someone who has facility with Chinese/Japanese .... everything else seems to be without character. There is one set of four kanji that say "Great East Asia War" that say "Dai To-A Sen"

And a couple more sayings-groupings .... but I'm still not convinced.

-- There are no signatures from well-wishers that I can see. [That might be one in the corner ... but illegible at this time]
    -- I cannot see that it is dedicated to anybody.
    -- All the handwriting seems to be done by one person.

It just "feels" to me like something a GI would purchase. I have no proof it was printed after 1945 ... but the entire flag just feels wrong to me.

--Guy

?

I'd like to know if your use of the phrase Tojo Flag was meant to indicate you feel the flag is one of a number of fakes that collectors refer to by that name or if you simply meant Japanese flag and chose the term Tojo by coincidence?

If you wish to obtain a period authentic Hinomaru no Yosegaki (Good Luck Flag) I would await one that is more "textbook".

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Again, I'm not an expert by any means, and I'll be happy to be corrected by a long-time collector. This flag has the same "feel" as the other "Tojo Flags" we've seen here. Though the kanji is written by someone who has facility with Chinese/Japanese .... everything else seems to be without character. There is one set of four kanji that say "Great East Asia War" that say "Dai To-A Sen"

And a couple more sayings-groupings .... but I'm still not convinced.

-- There are no signatures from well-wishers that I can see. [That might be one in the corner ... but illegible at this time]
    -- I cannot see that it is dedicated to anybody.
    -- All the handwriting seems to be done by one person.

It just "feels" to me like something a GI would purchase. I have no proof it was printed after 1945 ... but the entire flag just feels wrong to me.

--Guy
    Indeed. These flags are a form of "sumi-e".....ink and brush art and are usually profusive, soulful, expessions done by friends and family, maybe other soldiers, that have exhortations for a soldiers gallantry and service to the emperor....all rendered by hand. They vary greatly and no two would be alike, in my opinion. There is a commercial and fake homogenous vibe to this flag that I don't like. It may even be the poster child for a fake because they are certainly being faked. The kanji rendering alone I'm skeptical of. Here is an example of a flag I used to own....USMC vet bring back from Sugar Loaf Hill, Okinawa....1945. It may help make my point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast